Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been watching this years GP2 season? Honestly I haven't had the time although I have been reading the results and news.

Ive been thinking with all this talk of Ex-Formula 1 drivers trying to get back in or secure a seat when we will see a GP2 driver make his way into the sport.

I don't see anyone really specially in GP2 coming into F1 anytime soon. With drivers like Kimi, Heidfeld ect. trying to get back in what team would be crazy enough to hire a youngster? With the struggles most of the new teams are having, and the close competition the top teams are facing with the best drivers I think its going to be tough for a non experienced driver to get a seat. Specially when there is real talent waiting to get back in the Pilots chair.

I'm not saying this is going to be true, just thought Id spark a discussion and see who some of you are looking at.

Continue,
Chasen G.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I honestly haven't watched a GP2 race this year but if I owned a team I'd buy new talent then hire a driver with proven F1 history for a couple of reasons.

They won't want as much money wise if they are going to be paid, they can be trained around the team, etc. Plus I believe in bringing in young talent into motorsport, even if they aren't the fastest out of the box but show talent and passion they usually end up being fast and smart.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly haven't watched a GP2 race this year but if I owned a team I'd buy new talent then hire a driver with proven F1 history for a couple of reasons.

They won't want as much money wise if they are going to be paid, they can be trained around the team, etc. Plus I believe in bringing in young talent into motorsport, even if they aren't the fastest out of the box but show talent and passion they usually end up being fast and smart.
This has been the basic principle to it, HOWEVER now days they are competing against multiple world champions and with these new cars/rule changes bringing a new driver in wouldn't help in the development in the car as much as a experienced veteran.

I'm just saying more than that though you have World Champions waiting to get IN to F1. What new talent would you suggest?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Has anyone been watching this years GP2 season? Honestly I haven't had the time although I have been reading the results and news.

Ive been thinking with all this talk of Ex-Formula 1 drivers trying to get back in or secure a seat when we will see a GP2 driver make his way into the sport.

I don't see anyone really specially in GP2 coming into F1 anytime soon. With drivers like Kimi, Heidfeld ect. trying to get back in what team would be crazy enough to hire a youngster? With the struggles most of the new teams are having, and the close competition the top teams are facing with the best drivers I think its going to be tough for a non experienced driver to get a seat. Specially when there is real talent waiting to get back in the Pilots chair.

I'm not saying this is going to be true, just thought Id spark a discussion and see who some of you are looking at.

Continue,
Chasen G.
The current F1 paddock is littered with ex GP2 drivers. The reason you are going to see a decline in hiring of young GP2 drivers is because of the current ban on in season testing. Look at how much this has affected Petrov this year and both torro rosso drivers. Experience can no longer be gained over 1 or 2 seasons, now it takes 4-5 to gain the same amount.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The current F1 paddock is littered with ex GP2 drivers. The reason you are going to see a decline in hiring of young GP2 drivers is because of the current ban on in season testing. Look at how much this has affected Petrov this year and both torro rosso drivers. Experience can no longer be gained over 1 or 2 seasons, now it takes 4-5 to gain the same amount.
Nailed it.

55 Posts

GP2 drivers are all pay drivers, none of them get paid. There is no reason why a team wouldnt take a drivers $$$. Hell, if I had the money I could buy a damn GP2 seat. Plus, good luck hiring a GP2 gun to drive an F1 car that they have no idea about, given the ban on in season testing.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
GP2 drivers are all pay drivers, none of them get paid. There is no reason why a team wouldnt take a drivers $$$. Hell, if I had the money I could buy a damn GP2 seat. Plus, good luck hiring a GP2 gun to drive an F1 car that they have no idea about, given the ban on in season testing.
Timo Glock used to get paid to be in GP2 if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Honestyl, I think F1 has gotten a bit borring with all those new rules. Don't get me wrong, its still amazing what they do, but I miss those days where you could barely sit still whilst watching a fight.

Hope thats gonna change....

55 Posts
Honestyl, I think F1 has gotten a bit borring with all those new rules. Don't get me wrong, its still amazing what they do, but I miss those days where you could barely sit still whilst watching a fight.

Hope thats gonna change....
Wait for the new puny engines, bigger wheels, and 2345897234 stupid rule changes that the FIA is going to pull out their asses that IMO are bound to ruin all the fun of F1 in a couple of years

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
yeah, its gonna be even better when they all become electric powered. Its gonna be a very quiet race.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Kers is a stupid idea, along with slick tyres and ditching refueling during races. I want 2001-2005 season style cars back, INCLUDING the tyre wars.
I agree with this. But I DO like the slick tires. That is the main reason why they are able to be not much slower then the past seasons. Imagine how fast the high downforce cars would have been with slicks. My god :bitenails:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Wait for the new puny engines, bigger wheels, and 2345897234 stupid rule changes that the FIA is going to pull out their asses that IMO are bound to ruin all the fun of F1 in a couple of years
I don't get it. Aren't F1 cars supposed to be the most advanced/fastest form of racing? I want my V10s and downforce back now! I don't know how these rule changes are even allowed to be put into action.

55 Posts
I agree with this. But I DO like the slick tires. That is the main reason why they are able to be not much slower then the past seasons. Imagine how fast the high downforce cars would have been with slicks. My god :bitenails:
The slicks have a trend of appearing and disappearing. Give it a few years time and I can almost guarantee that we'll see the return of grooved tires, especially with the introduction of the proposed 18" wheels that they've been talking about recently. Seeing as Pirelli are probably going to try and market some similar technology towards their street applications for some serious profits, I dont see why it wouldnt be a possibility...thats what I would do atleast if I were them :D

"The all new Pirelli PZero Blanco.Good enough for F1, good enough for your car". :laugh:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What I liked about the fact that you where allowed to re-fuel whenever you wanted, it just added so much drama to the race and borught genius minds like Ross Brawn to shine.

The whole line up could've change withing 2 laps due to different strategies.

Like a year ago the order they left the starting grid was the same order they finished.....Not very interesting........

·
Registered
496 Posts
They need to bring in some real talent, Danica Patrick!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
As long as that bag of wind bernie is alive and running the show, we may actually see a gimmick like this happen. Bernie would run a F1 show in Afghanistan with the taliban as security and Bin laden as the track founder if the money was right.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
As long as that bag of wind bernie is alive and running the show, we may actually see a gimmick like this happen. Bernie would run a F1 show in Afghanistan with the taliban as security and Bin laden as the track founder if the money was right.
That is funny!

I think they should bring refueling back!
Not having to refuel takes so much strategy out of the game.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts