Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Luxury4Play, this is my first post!

I'm a foreign student in Michigan and I'm thinking of buying a car in America for the first time. I was thinking about something that is fun but also practical. Given that it snows a lot, I was thinking an SUV would be best (maybe a BMW X6 or G wagon). However, cars are so cheap in America I can't help but think about Bentley Continental GT or a Maseratie GranTurismo or Quattroporte. To complicate things even more, a lot of my friends from home are pressuring me to go "full American" and get a muscle car but I guess in this case I would need to additionally buy a practical SUV.

What would you do if you were in my place?

Looking forward to all your suggestions!

I will be posting more about my history with cars in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why not get a G63? You get a SUV, but it also has a twin-turbo 5.5L V8 for times when you want to have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not get a G63? You get a SUV, but it also has a twin-turbo 5.5L V8 for times when you want to have fun.
AryaF, I'm very tempted. Also, at $140K-ish, it's very cheap (compared to where I'm from). However, after driving one around a couple times this summer I wasn't very impressed - it doesn't pull its weight that well. The Brabus from the previous years I think is what G classes should pull like with all that power but they have made it way too heavy, I think. Plus, it's such a common car among my friends and people back home, I'm kinda jaded by it.

It is a great car, I love it, I wouldn't mind having it but because it's so common, too heavy, etc, I feel like I should look into some other cars before coming back to this. Do you think it'd be a good car for Michigan?

·
Banned
2,798 Posts
140,000$? You can get an 10,000$ 4WD SUV (none of your friends have this) for the winter and have enough to money to buy an american muscle car (old Mustang/Camaro/etc... or new Challenger/Mustang/Camaro) and a used Mas GT.

Not sure if serious.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Toyota corolla

·
Registered
205 Posts
AryaF, I'm very tempted. Also, at $140K-ish, it's very cheap (compared to where I'm from). However, after driving one around a couple times this summer I wasn't very impressed - it doesn't pull its weight that well. The Brabus from the previous years I think is what G classes should pull like with all that power but they have made it way too heavy, I think. Plus, it's such a common car among my friends and people back home, I'm kinda jaded by it.

It is a great car, I love it, I wouldn't mind having it but because it's so common, too heavy, etc, I feel like I should look into some other cars before coming back to this. Do you think it'd be a good car for Michigan?
I don't know how the roads in Michigan are since I live in Texas, but for an SUV I would recommend something Mercedes. They're beautiful car's, and have a great balance of luxury and power. The GL63 just came out, check that out and see if you like it.

If you want American Muscle, go big, get a wide body Shelby GT500 Super Snake, or a ZR1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
140,000$? You can get an 10,000$ 4WD SUV (none of your friends have this) for the winter and have enough to money to buy an american muscle car (old Mustang/Camaro/etc... or new Challenger/Mustang/Camaro) and a used Mas GT.

Not sure if serious.
That is precisely what has had me second guessing myself from my initial intentions of X6 or G. I have a friend from Michigan who's also a gear head and he was appalled by my intentions - told me I could get like a used Tahoe or something for practicality and get a muscle car or a used GT-R and still stay below 100K. I guess I will have a better feel of how I feel about such an arrangement after I visit some dealerships in Michigan once I'm there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get a Hummer H1 Alpha and a Corvette.
A couple friends and I laughed about getting a Hummer just because how strange I would look in one but it's not something I haven't thought about! Looks like a vicious monster. I would probably go for a used GT-R instead of a Corvette unless I go for a 60's Corvette. The 2000's Corvettes look ugly to me and feels a bit rinky dinky.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I went to UM.

My ideal college car in MI would have 4-5 adult seating, lots of power, parking sensors/cam, awd, room to haul things when moving.

Evoque, range rover, g63 if I were going w an SUV

M3, Maserati, c63, cgt are excellent sporty, gt cars

I would not get a two seater or 2+2 since you will haul frens or things from time to time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to UM.

My ideal college car in MI would have 4-5 adult seating, lots of power, parking sensors/cam, awd, room to haul things when moving.

Evoque, range rover, g63 if I were going w an SUV

M3, Maserati, c63, cgt are excellent sporty, gt cars

I would not get a two seater or 2+2 since you will haul frens or things from time to time.
Thanks for the proper response. I agree with you - something like RR, G or X6 will give the flexibility for winter, friends and also moving in to and out of apartments and stuff. As appealing as it sounds to go sports, it's not really sensible unless I live in Michigan for a while.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts