Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First up for those of you that have just gotten a Lum-Tec with a NH15J.

Does your second hand sweep for 30 seconds then move like a Quartz?

If so which model do you have? So far it seems to me that the issue is mostly in the B6's, and B13's.

If your watch is doing this. Please do contact Lum-Tec about your issue.

I just heard from Chris who is on vacation in Alaska till the 17th via email regarding the issue. Here is what he had to say.

"Great no internet access here! Email only. We seem to have about 15 percent or so with this issue. I contacted Seiko about it and am sending a bunch back to them to advise what the issue is. I cannot figure it out. Smooth 30 seconds then like quartz. I take them as faulty defect from Seiko and send them back but need to know why they work that way. I had the guys pull all NH15 watches and inspect the seconds hand running. We are on it like white on rice! Otherwise, they time well and are very durable. I think some had a defective cannon pinion or seconds wheel is my guess. Will know soon enough!"

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chris just got word from Seiko techs that there is a tension spring on the seconds wheel that needs tweaked.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Mine was doing this. Sucks, I had to send it back (B5 Combat). Lum-Tec should pay for return shipping!
Not make customers pay. Whats the point of getting a pre-order discount if you have to pay to ship a brand new watch back for repair!
When I bought mine I should have read the fine print I thought it was a mechanical movement too. (Not Battery)

·
7,022 Posts
Mine was doing this. Sucks, I had to send it back (B5 Combat). Lum-Tec should pay for return shipping!
Not make customers pay. Whats the point of getting a pre-order discount if you have to pay to ship a brand new watch back for repair!
When I bought mine I should have read the fine print I thought it was a mechanical movement too. (Not Battery)
Wow that's disappointing to hear. What do other companies do for defects while under warranty? Obviously, the repair is covered (I assume) but what about covering shipping expenses?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Bummer all the way around.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you ask them if they would reimburse you for the cost of the return shipping?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
They didn't offer, however they did replace it and shipped the new watch overnight. I am very happy with the quick response.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They didn't offer, however they did replace it and shipped the new watch overnight. I am very happy with the quick response.
Well the quick response and turn around was great. But I really would have thought they would have offered to send you a shipping label or offered to reimburse you the cost to ship it to them without you asking.

They have been really swamped and likely did not think about that at the time or I am sure they would have.

I know most companies would not have picked up your shipping cost and you would have waited 2 to 3 weeks to get your watch back from most other brands. So they really are a cut above on the CS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are the implications, beside the aesthetics? I didn't notice anything wrong with the accuracy, but I can see the seconds hand being slightly irregular in motion.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the implications, beside the aesthetics? I didn't notice anything wrong with the accuracy, but I can see the seconds hand being slightly irregular in motion.
There is only one case I have seen where someone with one which was quite minor compared to what others were reporting. Was sending theirs back primarily due to the accuracy of the watch. Most have reported that the sweep issue has not had an effect on the accuracy at all.

It sounds like the fix is just a very minor tweak. I think I have honestly seen more people saying that just as in yours it's more of slight irregular motion than a real pronounced one. One fellow reported his really only messed up briefly twice in a ten minute period on the sweep and with no effect on accuracy.

So for the most part it seems much of the cases are minor but it's one of those annoying slightly less than perfect type things that can really grate on a person.

I would really suggest sending yours in as I don't think most will really be 100% happy unless it's really sweeping 100% of the time in the proper way.

It's the first time LT has used this movement which is also new for SII.

So I am quite sure all parties involved on the manufacturing side will get a fast handle on this in general and we will not see this issue in the near future.

It's really like many first generation products. Often there is a minor kink that needs to be worked out along the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thx for the explanation, I will be checking mine as the time will go and then decide if it's worth sending back, as of now I'm not dissatisfied. Maybe I'll deal with that next time visiting States, that would make things easier :)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Mine was stopping completely, And if I gave it a shake it would start again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts