Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hopefully there isn't an introduction thread I missed. I joined this website hoping to gain some knowledge about watches and cars!

I currently have a few watches. A 1949 wrist watch (don't know much about it), a Tissot T-Race in rose gold, and a cheap luminox.

I have been saving some money for awhile and i'm thinking about splurging on either a new or used Classic Fusion. I'm sure most of it depends on the previous owners, but how are the older Hublots? I imagine the quality was still great back then.

I plan on buying a new one from jomashop.com. I bought the Tissot from them and I haven't had any problems yet.

Thanks for the help!

·
7,022 Posts
Classic Fusion line is one of my favorite pieces from Hublot. What size are you looking at? They are sometimes available on the forums at great prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking for something affordable that I can wear often. I will keep an eye on the for-sale section to see if anything pops up. Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Was great back then? I would say was greater back then now it is all looking like plastic china toys -talking about design-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hublot is really not worth any money, in my opinion. Carlo Crocco just left a well established Italian, century-old watch making company in the 1980s to start his own company to make a fortune. You cannot expect high quality from a man who is just looking out to make money. In fact, for most part of its history, Hublot produced quite low quality watches that no one really wanted.

Only in the last decade or so, thanks to sponsorships, endorsements and, mostly, the success of the Big Bang line did Hublot get any recognition. Most watch connoisseurs hate Hublot watches as their price reflects mostly the quality of their marketing rather than the watches itself. It is easy to get caught in their marketing with the likes of Jay Z, Maradona and many others endorsing it but please, try to look deeper than that into it all.

Seeing as Classic Fusions are in the market for about 8-10K new, I'm assuming you can get a used one for around 4K. For that price, I would seriously recommend a Bvlgari Diagono instead. It is in many ways similar to the Hublot Classic Fusion but comes from a better lineage of watches, a better brand and, most important of all, better quality.

I recommended it to some friends, one bought the 40 mm version and the other bought the 42 mm version and they are both in love with their watches. It is incredibly comfortable and really good looking.

Also think about it this way - the pre-2005 Hublots were worth pennies back in the day but now their owners are selling them for quite high because people are so fascinated by the brand, all of a sudden. Don't fall for these scams!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hublot is really not worth any money, in my opinion. Carlo Crocco just left a well established Italian, century-old watch making company in the 1980s to start his own company to make a fortune. You cannot expect high quality from a man who is just looking out to make money. In fact, for most part of its history, Hublot produced quite low quality watches that no one really wanted.
Carlo Crocco has nothing to do with Hublot post-2008 so while you're argument about the older Hublot watches makes sense to me, I think the new Hublot watches are actually pretty high quality and some are even coming with some pretty high-end movements.

"movement maker BNB Concept shutdown due to a lack of paying customers (due to the recession). When the company shutdown after declaring bankruptcy, Biver purchased many of the company's assets (including machinery) and hired the lead designer (Mathias Buttet) to work for Hublot. Buttet, never a "money guy" has been quite happy at Hublot and is currently in charge of developing their most high-end creations."

There are a lot of things Hublot gets criticized for: Being a 'young' brand, producing too many LEs, large and showy pieces, their sponsorships, etc. However, in the end it all comes down to what the buyer values the watch at. If you don't like the look of the watch, you see it as no value. I personally like a few of the newer Hublot models. I don't think it would be a daily-wear watch, but if I had the money to spend on a watch I would definitely consider one.

I don't think you have to worry about quality if you are considering a newer Hublot.

My .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts