Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I will soon be buying my first car. I'm going for performance sedan. I have been looking at a 2006 E55 AMG. Thoughts? :bow1:

·
Registered
545 Posts
First car as in first car you will drive, or first car since your parents? If it's the former you are going to kill yourself, if it's the latter it's a great choice.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Didn't provide much context, but the E55 is a lot of car and maintenance would be entirely on you. A newer CPO car or a new CLA would be a more reliably quantity with warranty support, but unless you have to have a German car you should definitely check out Mazda. No joke - they are releasing their new lineup following their breakup with Ford and the future is very bright. VW's Golf / GTI is also a great chassis which hasn't fallen victim to the cost-cutting measures the Jetta has seen. I had a Mk6 and it was a beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I see so many young guys attempting to go balls out with their first vehicles, leading themselves into a downward spiral of perpetual debt. Buy something cheap and save your money. In ten years, the $10K+ you save yourself will have allowed you to capitalize on opportunities, and most likely afford more in the long run. You'll thank yourself.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I see so many young guys attempting to go balls out with their first vehicles, leading themselves into a downward spiral of perpetual debt. Buy something cheap and save your money. In ten years, the $10K+ you save yourself will have allowed you to capitalize on opportunities, and most likely afford more in the long run. You'll thank yourself.

I agree My first car was a 1995 Mercury Grand Marques....
Granted I'm not at a baller status with my current vehicle, but It let me get some other things going I wanted.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Go with a newer C Class or something. I just got my first car a few months ago, and the biggest advice I can say is MAINTENANCE/repairs WILL **** you, unless you have a job that you can dedicate a majority of income towards, or your parents are fine with paying for all the maintenance + repairs. I always advise to go with newer cars for this reason.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
60 Posts
First car here was a Grand Prix GT.

Get something cheap that will get you from point A to point B to start. There is NO NEED to get a Merc when your insurance is astronomical, maintenance is expensive, gas is expensive (premium) and if you wreck the vehicle, it'll be VERY costly. Are you going to be financing? You'll have the cost of borrowing as well. Give your insurance company a call and see how much per month an AMG will run you.

Don't ever forget about these things as it should ALWAYS be in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
630 Posts
if its your first car overall, get a beater SUV and learn how to drive. Although you may think you know how to drive, you don't. the only thing that can teach you is experience. After a year + of driving, sell the beater and get something a bit more fun. Although you might not be too happy with your first car, it could very well save your life and help you learn without having to worry about anything but driving (opposed to having to worry about your car all the time). My parents forced me to drive an SUV at first and although I hated them and the car at the time, i'm now glad they did.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For the price of a nice '06 E55, you could get a brand new 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid. It's basically a Honda Civic Hybrid with a flashy disguise and nicer interior. 40mpg and Japanese reliability in a decent looking little luxury car... Much better choice for a first car. Save money, and buy something fast and expensive later, brand new.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
buy what makes you happy - if you can afford a Merc go for it. They are well known for their safety standards. If you bang it up, that is what insurance is for. whatever car is at your budget and you like is what you should get. There's no such thing as "the perfect starter car".

·
Registered
712 Posts
if its your first car overall, get a beater SUV and learn how to drive. Although you may think you know how to drive, you don't. the only thing that can teach you is experience. After a year + of driving, sell the beater and get something a bit more fun. Although you might not be too happy with your first car, it could very well save your life and help you learn without having to worry about anything but driving (opposed to having to worry about your car all the time). My parents forced me to drive an SUV at first and although I hated them and the car at the time, i'm now glad they did.
This, but not an SUV.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like the E55, good choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the SUV suggestion. I had a Passat as my first car, but the entire time I was learning to drive on my permit I was only allowed to drive my mom's Sequoia and I have to say learning car control in a full size body-on-frame suv was invaluable as well as mastering parking! I would recommend considering an SUV even if it's only for a year. Also, to give you an idea on insurance I'm 21 no tickets or accidents ever and insuring an E39 M5 would run me about 2200/year when I got quotes as I'm looking for something new myself. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts