Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Track: NJMP-Thunderbolt
Organization: AudiNA NJ Chapter
Dates: Oct 12-13th
Group: Green
Instructor: Mike aka Skierman64 of M3post
Cars in Green: VW GTI (Racaros, SeatBelt harness, No Rear seats, Upgraded brakes & minor engine mods), Audi S4, S5 & R8 V8, Mini Cooper, Audi Avant (only day 1) and myself in the ///M

First and foremost I would like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Mike for doing such a great job instructing me during my first two trackdays, he gave me constant feed back on my good & bad driving. I would have never imagined to have bumped into Mike @ an Audi trackday let alone have him as my instructor, it was nice to have a familiar face to have as a passenger especially @ the track During my ride alongs w/ Mike I was able to see how his precise instruction translated in his FASTER driving and I was able to see the track from a different viewpoint.

I personally am not new to the Track experience b/c I have done about 20 trackdays on my motorcycles (Barber, Pocono, NHIS, Summit Point) like others have told me I do believe that my prior experience Riding on the track helped me w/ a smoother transition over to Car Trackdays.

Needless to say my first day started off w/ a bit of nervousness from all the anticipation to get onto the track. After our class room session we had our first RIDE ALONG in our Instructors car so we can learn the track and see what the proper line is, then after about 2 laps we switched over into our own cars and did more of same Learning the track and line w/ our instructors giving directions. After a couple laps the jitters started to fade away and I was able to start picking up the pace and focus on Mikes instruction: BRAKE, TURNIN NOW!!, TRACKOUT, GET ON IT wash rinse & repeat, by the end of my first session my cheeks were starting to feel sore from smiling

Fast forward to the end of Day 2, Mike is giving minor instructions b/c I've learned the line and have been keeping a nice quick pace. There were some places were I could have carried more speed into the corners and Mike would inform me of this & the following lap my goal was to make sure I corrected my mistake. My biggest issue arose when I really started picking up the pace and started staying @ WOT on the front straight until the Braking marker 5, I was having difficulty jamming on the break, downshifting & smoothly releasing the clutch so I would avoid wheel hop & unsettling the backend, Mikes instruction helped me correct it once again but then after a couple laps I would again return to releasing the clutch too quickly...I would correct it and then again make the same stupid mistake I need to start practicing my Heat Toe more

The M performed flawlessly and I ran most of the 2days in EDC Sport & Power off w/ MDM on, MDM kicked in probably a hand full of times when I would get on the power a little too early while Tracking Out, Brakes are stock except for upgraded brake fluid and also performed great but had minor chatter from all the heavy braking but they never lost their bite.

Mike installed his Kodak camera for one session on day2 and I'm eager to see myself in action again and see my lines and how I can improve them for the next time I go down to Thunderbolt

I wish it wasn't October so I didn't have to wait so many months to get back on the track but next year I'll be aiming to get at least a 1 or 2 days a month during the season once again I'm hooked See you @ the track

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Will, I'm waiting on the file from my intructor so I can chop it up and post it...saw the vid on FB

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
233 Posts
i'm glad you had a great time. thunderbolt is a very technical track. wait til you try lightning. it is a shorter track but much faster. i suggest you look into better pads if you don't plan on getting a big brake kit. i suggest performance friction pads. hope to see you in the next event. let me know if you have any questions. i would be more than happy to help you out.

FYI - the group will be going to VIR in november. very very nice track

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i'm glad you had a great time. thunderbolt is a very technical track. wait til you try lightning. it is a shorter track but much faster. i suggest you look into better pads if you don't plan on getting a big brake kit. i suggest performance friction pads. hope to see you in the next event. let me know if you have any questions. i would be more than happy to help you out.

FYI - the group will be going to VIR in november. very very nice track
I have PAGID RS19's in my trunk that I bought last year, but I wanted to see how the stockers performed plus they have ton of life left on them and are still under warranty :whistle:

I would love to go down to VIR, its on my to do list both for the bike and car but unfortunately I can't attend in November b/c its too much of a busy month for me...I will try to get down there early spring w/ any group that goes down

thanks for posting about these events 2Putt going to shoot you a pm w/ my email address...so I can get a little more informed...

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
great thread Bill, my friends have done thunderbolt and speak highly of it. our job had some m3's there a little while back and the drivers and techs had a blast. I need to get out to one of these things one day.

One question though, i know on these things you arent able to time your laps but how do know if you are faster one a per lap basis? or at least your laps compared to the best of the day. that might be the only thing i wouldnt like so much about these driver education track days.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great thread Bill, my friends have done thunderbolt and speak highly of it. our job had some m3's there a little while back and the drivers and techs had a blast. I need to get out to one of these things one day.

One question though, i know on these things you arent able to time your laps but how do know if you are faster one a per lap basis? or at least your laps compared to the best of the day. that might be the only thing i wouldnt like so much about these driver education track days.
Definitely Will you have to get out there, b/c its a blast and you'll appreciate your V even more after you do...

well you can't really do a "REAL" lap time since like you said there is no timing at the event, but you can mount a Video Camera & record your sessions then watch them over w/ a stop watch and kinda get a gauge what your laptimes were-factoring in lap traffic since you can't pass until you get the "pointby" but if you running in a faster group and not being held up that really isn't a problem since everyone is moving at pace... On very few occasions did I not have to slow down a little extra b/c of lap traffic so even if I was recording I wouldn't have had a real time HTH

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
i should have invited you to the autox event i went to on saturday. you would have had a good time.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i should have invited you to the autox event i went to on saturday. you would have had a good time.
yeah next time, either way on Saturday I was @ a seminar from 9-5 so I wouldn't have been able to attend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts