Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Ferrari was none to pleased with the custom badges and associated floor mats on Deadmau5's 458 Italia Purrari. So much so that Ferrari North America sent the self-admitted button-pusher a cease and desist to have the custom emblems removed.

Deadmau5 (aka Joel Zimmerman) wrapped his 458 in a vinyl tribute to Nyan cat, running it in a few rallies and getting coffee with assorted celebrities and disgraced politicians before it went up for sale.

The wrap has since been removed and returned to its original vanilla flavor, and the customized "Purrari" badges – which are dead ringers for the standard Ferrari text – apparently went with them. Zimmerman doesn't say if the wrap and badge removal was because of the C&D or if it's just the next step in selling his 458.
Ferrari Sent Deadmau5 A Cease And Desist About His 'Purrari'

Well who knew that you couldn't replace the emblems on a Ferrari.

·
Registered
848 Posts
**** that. I've seen WAYYYY worse things done to Ferraris than that wrap. Any owners in here care to look in their sales contract and see where it says you can't change anything about the car?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think it's absolute BS. 300k for a machine and you're telling me you can't do whatever you want to it. Ridiculous IMO
Agreed.

If he took the ferrari badge and slapped it on cds, shirts, etc then I could understand the lawsuit, but it's his car he can do whatever he wants. Again ferrari makes themselves look bad.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The issue was that he used the copyrighted Ferrari font for the Purrari badges, thus the cease and desist. It had nothing to do with the wrap itself; obviously you can do whatever you want to your car within legal limits.

Still slightly silly of Ferrari, but I have no problem with it. They do the same to anyone who uses their logo or font without permission.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
They could've sent him a C&D ages ago since that wrap is old. They are just butt hurt because he sold it and bought a McLaren.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They could've sent him a C&D ages ago since that wrap is old. They are just butt hurt because he sold it and bought a McLaren.
Doubt it. I'm sure they are celebrating. Go to Maranello and see for yourself an auto manufacturer that runs a whole town and see how important ferrari's heritage is to the Italian people. Ferrari has an image to upkeep.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The issue was that he used the copyrighted Ferrari font for the Purrari badges, thus the cease and desist. It had nothing to do with the wrap itself; obviously you can do whatever you want to your car within legal limits.

Still slightly silly of Ferrari, but I have no problem with it. They do the same to anyone who uses their logo or font without permission.

I see ferraris point, I thought it was the cat on the back that they had a problem.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Doubt it. I'm sure they are celebrating. Go to Maranello and see for yourself an auto manufacturer that runs a whole town and see how important ferrari's heritage is to the Italian people. Ferrari has an image to upkeep.
Celebrating? lol never mind. I'm not having this conversation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Celebrating? lol never mind. I'm not having this conversation.
Yes, celebrating. Do you think that they want a 15 minute of fame EDM artist, driving that abomination around and posting pictures of it all over the internet? The guys no Banksy, and don't even get me started on his music. Ferrari is about image, just as much as performance. Go visit Maranello and see for yourself, how important the brand is. I have been to BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, and others and nobody even comes close to Ferrari. Ferrari go's to great lengths to protect the brand, as they should.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes, celebrating. Do you think that they want a 15 minute of fame EDM artist, driving that abomination around and posting pictures of it all over the internet? The guys no Banksy, and don't even get me started on his music. Ferrari is about image, just as much as performance. Go visit Maranello and see for yourself, how important the brand is. I have been to BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, and others and nobody even comes close to Ferrari. Ferrari go's to great lengths to protect the brand, as they should.
15 minutes of fame?...

·
Registered
641 Posts

^this. Protecting the most powerful brand in the world.

I like Deadmau5. "Pets", "Raise Your Weapon", "Veldt" and "Move For Me" are on my EDM playlist that I listen to in my 458 spider.

Italian Beauty

A case in point is Ferrari, owned by Italian car giant Fiat, that achieved the highest brand rating in the Global 500 despite being a niche sports car manufacturer with a much smaller enterprise value than many of the other global brands in the Top 500.

“I often think that the Italian genius for car design is based in the language of craft,” comments world renowned design critic Stephen Bayley. “Theirs is a workshop vocabulary with words for a car’s features and contours many of which simply don’t exist in English. If you have a word for it you can draw it. That word is beauty,” he says.

A key driver of brand value is revenue. Clearly Ferrari cannot compete in terms of the size of the multi-national brands. However its brand rating takes into account other financial metrics such as net margins, average revenue per customer, marketing and advertising spend as well as qualitative measures such as brand affection and loyalty.

Taken together, Ferrari outperforms not only rival auto manufacturers BMW, VW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus and Audi but all brands worldwide.

Ferrari today announced record results for the first nine months of 2012, recording an increase in net profits by 7.6 per cent to €244m on a turnover of €2.43 billion.

"It is always a pleasure to top any list and still more so when the competition includes some of the world's most famous companies. This achievement proves that even in very tough economic times, Italy can still offer the world businesses of excellence," commented Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo. "Behind this acknowledgement are exceptional products made by equally exceptional men and women. They made it possible and for that I thank them."

David Haigh concludes: “As the Global 500 powerfully demonstrates, customer expectations of brands are much higher than ever as trust becomes a critical business issue in a time of increased economic uncertainty. To fulfil such expectations, brand owners must continue to innovate whilst at the same time deliver quality with value, choice with social responsibility and sustainability with growth.”

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is understandable, logos and fonts are copyrighted. I/my dealership was once sent a letter by BMW to remove their logo from a Bimmer ad we did. Again, understandable.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I'm not an IP attorney but I'm quite certain you can use a brand or image if it is satire. Think Spaceballs to Star Wars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts