Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ferrari brought the open top version of its most powerful naturally aspirated V8 road car ever to the Paris Motor Show this year.

Just like its closed cabin cousin, the 458 Speciale A uses Ferrari’s blood curdling naturally aspirated V8 capable of 398 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 RPM and 605 hp at a sky scraping 9,000 RPM.

The same advanced SCC traction control system that debuted on the Speciale is, of course, in place here and able to better predict how the car will perform in corners than past Ferrari traction control systems. Really, the only differences here are that the aluminum roof folds away, which also means there isn’t a glass window over the engine compartment anymore.

The extra equipment adds roughly 100 lbs to the curb weight, but Ferrari says that shouldn’t affect its 0-60 MPH sprint, which still happens in a scant three seconds. In fact, Ferrari says this is its most aerodynamically advanced convertible ever.

2014 Paris Motor Show Coverage

Inside you’ll find the same typical F1-inspired steering wheel, paddle shifters and center-mounted tachometer as you would expect on other products from the high-performance brand. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 tires specially designed for the car and meant for track day longevity wrap the wheels.

As is the case with all Ferraris, production is limited. There will only be 499 of these built, but if you’re on Maranello’s short list you probably knew that months ago. Take a minute to reflect on something. Ferrari says all of its future V8s will use turbochargers and that means this could be one of, if not the last naturally aspirated car it debuts at an auto show.
See more Ferrari 458 Speciale A photos at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
^ I agree. However there is only so much you can do to a naturally aspirated engine before it's a track only engine. And, seeing how Ferrari is at the forefront of what they do. It's also natural that they do something to cut cost but also build a more powerful yet efficient engine and if you think back quite a few years Ferrari did build some turbo charged V8's back in the day. Hint, hint F40.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Anyone here going to scoop one up? I would if I could convince the ol ball and chain.. She feels homes are more important. (I know, laughable..)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hint, hint F40.
And we saw how that turned out. They made quite an unpredictable car: the notorious turbo lag and it's difficult driving dynamics. It's all fun and games until some average-Joe Lotto winner buys one and drives it off a bridge. Hopefully they end up continuing with N/A or really refining the tech.

I can't help but think that a turbo would make the car much more finicky, too. Repairs and maintenance are expensive and time consuming enough on an exotic, but the turbo adds another layer of difficulty. Some no-name tuner will inevitably push the car's engine well past it's functional limits, and cause one hell of a repair bill. If you blow a Civic engine, it's all fun and games. Blow a 'Rarri engine and your wallet will beg for mercy.

You gotta pay to play though, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts