Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tommorow finds myself and a friend who many ladies tell me is sensasionally good looking, modelling fashion, this will be the uk football hooligan culture, such as stone island, cp company, puma classic trainers etc.

I have a d300s and im wondering what settings to use ? Its in a proper studio, with flashheads and other things i have never used before.
I am hoping to use the 50mm F1.8 i have but experience has told me to fit a whole human being into the frame i need to have my tripod set back quite a way, and the studio is around 7m in length. So will probably be using the 18-70 3.5-4.5 lens i have instead :(

But any way even a quick line telling me what sort of settings to use would be ideal as a base ? I have an SB600 if that helps!?

Thankyou, and i will post the finished articles up here :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
The SB 600 won't do you much good except as a fill light. I would definitely use a light meter to dial in the studio lights / exposure. I shoot Nikon, and I would start at F8 on aperture priority and try some shots. It will take a while to dial in the flashheads. If you use only one light for a source, start at about F4 - F5.6. Using the faster 1.8 lens will allow you more flexibility with the lights. I wish I had some magic settings to throw out, but there are so many variables. Good luck! I know it'll work out for you. ;)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou :) Only really using the SB600 to trigger the external flashes (unless the d300s can do this on its own ?) Normally i just angle the actual flash so it points back over my shoulder...

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the D300s you can trigger your other flashes using commander mode in the bracketing/flash menu.
Here's a link that shows how to do it: Nikon D200/D300 commander mode

Gives you an extra SB-600 to work with!

I've always gotten by in the studio with my SB600 and SB800 using one with a 40" umbrella and the other as a back/hair light and a couple strategically placed reflectors.

It's probably a good idea to invest in a proper lighting system someday, I know I need to. But for now this basic setup gets the job done.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Great link....I saved it for when I get my D300s. ;) I wish they still offered the SB800. I'm going to have to bite the proverbial bullet and get the SB900 or else go all the way with a proper strobe system. Can't wait to see the shots from thesmileyone's shoot. :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got there (without reading MrTopher2's post :() to find my sb600 is dead and now belongs in the bin, so had to do the whole shoot with no flash at all :(

50mm was way too long, great for portraits, but couldnt even fit half of his body in way back at the back of the room set as the studio. So had to use my trusty 18-70 F3.5-4.5 lens. The rednsapper tripod i was using was also terrible to use in a studio environment so i will be ditching it for some quality gitzo gear at some point. Luckily the D300s is ok at ISO 800, which is what I had to use!

Heres a sample, skin tone edited a bit, totally could not get the WB absolutely nailed but it was fine enough on auto, so i desaturated the pictures very slightly in CS5.

EXIF Sub IFD

* Exposure Time 1/60 second
* Lens F-Number / F-Stop = ƒ/5
* Exposure Program = manual control (1)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 800
* Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/60 second
* Exposure Bias (EV) = -4/6 ===> -0.67
* Max Aperture = ƒ/3.48
* Distance to Subject = 237/100 m
* Metering Mode = center weighted average (2)
* Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
* Flash = Flash did not fire
* Focal Length = 180/10 mm ===> 18 mm
* Image Width = 2848 pixels
* Image Height = 3371 pixels
* Exposure Mode = manual exposure (1)
* White Balance = auto (0)
* Focal Length in 35mm Film = 27mm

·
Registered
790 Posts
No way I would have guessed that was ISO800. Another plus for the D300s. That's a good shot and you did a great job of adjusting to the circumstances. Too bad the SB600 let you down at the worst possible time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can use the kit lens 40-55 mm.The 35 mm is too short for shooting fashion and portraits.If shooting in the shade and use a reflector, the model does not squint. Remember to set the white balance for any light that is directly using.Shooting shows the best idea.That is a good suggestion on a chair well.I'll make sure you have at hand one!

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's a bit too late but I've found that the best WB setting for portrait shoots with a strobe setup is 5620K.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks :) The shots are all terrible but i had no flash setup. Going back to do more with flash in a month or so. Only issue i have is theres no room the studio is only about 10 feet long :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts