Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F.P. Journe Historical Anniversary Tourbillon
by Kyle Stults - Perpetuelle

In 1983 François-Paul Journe created his first handmade watch, a Tourbillon pocket watch; 2013 marks the 30th anniversary of this occasion. And what better way to celebrate a good milestone than with a good watch. F.P. Journe presents the Historical Anniversary Tourbillon, a timepiece which reinterprets his 1983 pocketwatch in a wrist piece, though largely with the same materials and design elements. The watch is, however, largely a departure from what I would consider to be the typical Journe aesthetic. I’ll break it all down, below.

Journe’s 30th anniversary watch is built around a sterling silver case with rose gold bezels on front and back. It is elegant in its proporations: 40mm x 10mm thick, with Journe’s signature flat crown. The grained silver dial displays a large hour/minute Roman numeral display, centered by prominent Breguet-style hands; this main dial is intersected by a subsidiary seconds register with Arabic numerals.

The 1983 pocketwatch:

Though the original “A. Paris” notation on the lower right side of the dial has been replaced by Journe’s trademark slogan “Invenit et Fecit”, this dial notation along with the “F.P. Journe” signature on the left and pay homage to the original pocket watch design as well.

Turning to the back, we see that the watch has a hinged (hunter) caseback, and for me a touch decision: open, or shut? I’m struggling with what I like looking at more — the beautiful guilloche patterned caseback or the tourbillon movement that is visible when the hinge is open.

The construction of the movement is essentially identical to the original of 1983. Modeled after the tourbillon pocketwatch movements of the 18th and 19th centuries, a la A.L. Breguet, it has a profoundly simple appearance. You can clearly see the two barrels arranged symmetrically, and the one-minute tourbillon directly below these. A lateral pallet escapement has replaced the detent escapement of the original; winding and setting are done with a crown rather than a key as with the original. The finishing and materials are beautiful — frosted, gilt finish, with blued steel screws, polished steel components and bevelled edges. And surely a few notches better than Journe’s 1983 pocketwatch For me, the movement also brings to mind the calibers of the late George Daniels, another watchmaking icon who was also a friend of Journe’s.

This will be a limited edition of 99 pieces, priced at $99,000 per.

More at Montres Journe SA - Invenit et Fecit - Genève, Suisse - Watches - Geneva Switzerland - fp????

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Beautiful piece, love the decoration on the case back.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
LOVE FP Journe. I blogged about him not too long ago. I think they have some staying power and have a very bright future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts