Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard or keeping up with the F-18 that crashed into a Virginia beach apartment building?

jetf18crash.jpg

One person that witness the plane before the crash said that the pilot was dumping fuel and white smoke was coming from the engine. It had to be engine failure and the pilot dumped the fuel to make it lighter so he can crash where no one was.

Anyone have any more news or live nearby?

·
Registered
448 Posts
They suffered a major failure of the #1 engine on takeoff. The F-18 will still climb out on one engine when fully loaded so they had bigger problems with control ability that made them punch out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Engine #1 controls almost everything and thrust, #2 is mostly just for thrust. If #1 went out and it was that bad I can see why they dumped fuel and ejected.
Lucky for the civilians on the ground they did dump fuel. It could have been WAY worse. JP8 burns hot as hell.

One thing I don't get is why they dumped and jumped? I mean, I'm an Airport Fire Fighter in the Marines so I've seen this before. I've seen 18s come in with #1 or #2 engines out and they coast it in just fine, take a trap and get towed off the runway. Something beyond losing the engine and some controls must have happened. Unless it was a "oh shit, something bad, eject!" situation... Especially, since they weren't that far from the runway, unless they were already too low. :/

Sent from my mind using telekinesis.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Unless it was a "oh shit, something bad, eject!" situation... Especially, since they weren't that far from the runway, unless they were already too low. :/
If the witnesses are recounting this accurately (which they are notoriously bad at doing), it doesn't seem like they would have enough time to dump fuel in either of those scenarios. Fuel dump isn't and instant procedure, especially when you're carrying up to 8,000lbs of the stuff. From where they pilots were found, it seems like they stuck with the aircraft until the last second. Both were found within a few hundred feet of the impact point.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the witnesses are recounting this accurately (which they are notoriously bad at doing), it doesn't seem like they would have enough time to dump fuel in either of those scenarios. Fuel dump isn't and instant procedure, especially when you're carrying up to 8,000lbs of the stuff. From where they pilots were found, it seems like they stuck with the aircraft until the last second. Both were found within a few hundred feet of the impact point.
Exactly

·
Registered
803 Posts
Last I heard was they recovered the black box and were studying the engine at the scene of the crash. Pilots made it out safely and there were no casualties which is most important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts