Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys,
I was wondering if anybody knew how difficult it would be to import a legit Evo IV, none of that Mirage conversion garbage, I want as close to the real thing as I could get, and I was curious if anybody knew how hard it would be to get one over here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Welcome, you've got good taste in cars!
;)

You can relatively easily get the car Stateside, registering it is a different story. There's a few ways you could do it, though none of them will make the car legal on the federal level (which would require extensive crash testing and conversions):
  • Seperate the chassis/drivetrain and bring it in as parts, then you may be able to register it as a repaired/rebuilt vehicle in your particular state. There is a local technical college that did this with an R34 GT-R.
  • Register it as an off-road/show/race vehicle in your particular state, but this generally allows for only certain annual mileage and many restrictions on road use.
  • DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting you do this, just telling you about it. You can find a junked Mirage of the same year and swap the complete dash board/VIN with your car.
Those are the only ways I can think of, and again, you may very well be able to register the car in your respective state, but it will never be legal with the feds.
:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
i like evo's but why do you want a IV not a newer 8 or 9, or even a late 7 that came over?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome, you've got good taste in cars!
;)

You can relatively easily get the car Stateside, registering it is a different story. There's a few ways you could do it, though none of them will make the car legal on the federal level (which would require extensive crash testing and conversions):
  • Seperate the chassis/drivetrain and bring it in as parts, then you may be able to register it as a repaired/rebuilt vehicle in your particular state. There is a local technical college that did this with an R34 GT-R.
  • Register it as an off-road/show/race vehicle in your particular state, but this generally allows for only certain annual mileage and many restrictions on road use.
  • DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting you do this, just telling you about it. You can find a junked Mirage of the same year and swap the complete dash board/VIN with your car.
Those are the only ways I can think of, and again, you may very well be able to register the car in your respective state, but it will never be legal with the feds.
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured I would have to do a VIN swap or something, I was hoping that there would be a way to do it easier/legally. I wouldn't be to happy if something happened and my car had to be crushed lol

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I figured I would have to do a VIN swap or something, I was hoping that there would be a way to do it easier/legally. I wouldn't be to happy if something happened and my car had to be crushed lol
Unfortunately, there's not. After the whole Motorex Skyline debacle, the NHTSA severely tightened up the legislation for getting foreign-market and non-production cars on the road.

As I mentioned in my first post, there are certainly loopholes to be found by individual state, but the car will never be legal federally without crash testing, bumper reinforcement, glass updating etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest I'd be willing to do the bumper reinforcement and updating all the crap I'd need to, unfortunately, I've tried looking for crash test data and have been unsuccessful. I think I'm going to blame Motorex for all of these problems just because I can, and feel like it

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, Thanks again, I might have to put off getting one for a while then, I knew it was going to be expensive, I didn't think it would be THAT bad though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts