Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my dad this past weekend, and if I recall correctly he said ETA will soon stop distributing their movements to all the private labels outside the Swatch group, which would mean one of two things for those companies: (1) they invest successfully in the internalized manufacture of movements, and they stay in business, or (2) they cannot develop movements in-house and they have to exit the market.

I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this, what the timeline is and whether the above is accurate.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It means one of two things? You left out some options.
Agreed. MANY options. LVMH brands are now using Zenith movements, IE the new TAG's with El Primero's. Don't forget Sellita, Lemania, Ronda (quartz), etc. Trust me, I doubt there will be much "exiting".

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry - I just don't know as much as I would like about the industry and would love to learn more. I know some of you guys are wealths of knowledge when it comes to horology. Just wanted to start a discussion.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No need to be sorry, this is valid post and a valid question. Ebauches (blank movements) are available through a variety of manufacturers. ETA is basically the biggest, gobbling up Valjoux (and I think, Lemania as of recently - don't quote me). ETA's are cheap, reliable, and generally known as work horses. Many will argue that Miyota and/or Seiko ebauches are just as good, if not better.

·
Gold Sponsor
1,534 Posts
yes but they need to be swiss made, not japanese, or it poses a whole new set of problems.

that being said, many companies like breitling have developed in house movements for many of their models, but they also have about a dozen years worth of old stock of the older eta ebauches that they can keep using on their watches, they only use the base base base parts form eta, the rest was to their spec anyway. and swatch hasnt said they will cut off all sales of ets and valj, just to who they want to. but its good, more in house movements are a good thing.
some other company will make a basic movement to fill the void in the market anyway, so no worries, your watch companies will be fine

·
Registered
469 Posts
Heck, 90%* of Tag's auto watches use ETA movements, which I guess is like Porsche putting Ferrari engines in their cars or something...

* 90% is a number I just made up. The actual number is probably lower, but probably not much, considering their Zenith & "in house" (Seiko designed) movements are in their more expensive models.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. There's someone out there right now developing some really good, workhorse movements. And ETA Is gonna kick themselves in the ass when this company starts selling movements to every company that Swatch doesn't own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts