Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Appreciate any feedback that this community may have in regards to the issue below.

I'm looking into picking up a new ride and have my eyes on a few options. I'm strongly considering picking up a new M3 but after some research I've found a few comparable cars that are priced similarly - 996 Turbo, 996 GT2, new Cayman S. I've owned an E36 M3 previously and have a great appreciation for the M cars and would not hesitate to pick up another one. I'm looking for something fast & loud that I can use as a DD. I'm not concerned with luxury, but would rather have something that is track friendly and raw. What can you guys recommend based on the information above? I've never owned a Porsche so I am not familiar with the maintenance, driving experience, etc.

(I've posted a similar thread in the BMW section but feel I will receive more feedback here)

·
Registered
137 Posts
"would rather have something that is track friendly and raw"

sounds more like the porsche...as the newer e9x M3 is bigger and heavier than your E36 which is more raw than the new version. The new one is a great car thou, especially as a daily.

Although i thought 996 gt2 were alot more than a m3. whats the budget?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"would rather have something that is track friendly and raw"

sounds more like the porsche...as the newer e9x M3 is bigger and heavier than your E36 which is more raw than the new version. The new one is a great car thou, especially as a daily.

Although i thought 996 gt2 were alot more than a m3. whats the budget?
Top end 75-80k - I've found a few 996 GT2s going for 50-65k range through ebay motors. A buddy of mine owned the car not long ago and I loved it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
GT2.

Nothing more needed. Close thread.

Seriously though, there is no comparison. If you had said that practicality was part of the equation, then I might have given the M3 a few points. Most of these "which car should I get?" threads are difficult, but this time the choice is painfully clear.

You said you wanted: fast, loud, track friendly, raw.
The selections are: 996 Turbo, 996 GT2, or M3. (The Cayman isn't aloud on this list, sorry)

Answer: GT2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GT2.

Nothing more needed. Close thread.

Seriously though, there is no comparison. If you had said that practicality was part of the equation, then I might have given the M3 a few points. Most of these "which car should I get?" threads are difficult, but this time the choice is painfully clear.

You said you wanted: fast, loud, track friendly, raw.
The selections are: 996 Turbo, 996 GT2, or M3. (The Cayman isn't aloud on this list, sorry)

Answer: GT2.
Is the GT2 capable of being used as a DD? I am concerned the car requires a lot of maintenance if used as a DD. Commute is typically ~70 miles per day.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is the GT2 capable of being used as a DD? I am concerned the car requires a lot of maintenance if used as a DD. Commute is typically ~70 miles per day.
DD no problem, but that's quite a commute for sure, over 18k a year.

Resale value will go in the tank if you keep it for long putting those kinds of miles on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DD no problem, but that's quite a commute for sure, over 18k a year.

Resale value will go in the tank if you keep it for long putting those kinds of miles on it.
Very true. I'd rather drive the car than have it sit around week after week. Not very concerned with resale value although it would be nice if it didn't depreciate as fast. Planning on keeping the car for 2-3 years unless I love it that much!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Very true. I'd rather drive the car than have it sit around week after week. Not very concerned with resale value although it would be nice if it didn't depreciate as fast. Planning on keeping the car for 2-3 years unless I love it that much!
If you are not concerned with resale then go for it. Porsche's are great cars, extremely reliable. If you do have an issue it will be a little pricier than the same issue on a BMW, but find a good/well known indy mechanic and it won't hurt you that much.

Pick up a low mile GT2, keep it for 2 years, get back out of it before it hits the 50k mark... you won't get hit too hard.

Throw some Fabspeed bypass pipes on there and all four of your criteria are met.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the video man. Call me crazy but that GT2 was pretty quiet. Possibly the video quality?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Probably something with the vid.

The last thing a 3.6TT w/ straight pipes could ever be described as is quiet. :wink:

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you want to stick to an M car...get a Z4M Coupe, its not as fast as the e9X m3 but is much more fun to drive and is more connected (this is from the owner of 2 e46 m3s).
Otherwise, Porsche all the way! I have loved my 911 and Cayman S and dont think you can go wrong with either, but if you want more power and still a great track beast, 911 turbo might be best.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This looks like a sweat deal...
Showroom ready Porsche GT2-low miles, serviced, extras! A STEAL @ $67K

GL with finding one! I just rode in my friend's e36 m3 at an autocross last saturday, they are fantastic cars.
Thanks for the link. This looks like a pretty clean deal. I just got back from SoCal so too bad I didn't find this sooner! What would you guys say is a fair price for the GT2? I've seen some going for as low as 50-60k to over 100k for a 996... lots of discrepancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fast + loud + track = gt3 or gt3 rs (search for fred's build up)

the e9x m3 is just too big of a car imo. it's nothing like your e36 m3. if you like the high revving m motors, you'll love the gt3 n/a motor. either way, gl with the purchase, can't go wrong with any of your options.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
GT2 is 2 wheel drive? What's the difference with turbo?
GT2 has more hp and it is RWD vs. Turbo is AWD

If you want to stick to an M car...get a Z4M Coupe, its not as fast as the e9X m3 but is much more fun to drive and is more connected (this is from the owner of 2 e46 m3s).
Otherwise, Porsche all the way! I have loved my 911 and Cayman S and dont think you can go wrong with either, but if you want more power and still a great track beast, 911 turbo might be best.
+1 Z4M coupes are great cars. You can also put in your order for the 2011 1 series M that is coming out soon.

Thanks for the link. This looks like a pretty clean deal. I just got back from SoCal so too bad I didn't find this sooner! What would you guys say is a fair price for the GT2? I've seen some going for as low as 50-60k to over 100k for a 996... lots of discrepancy.
I think mileage has a lot to do with the price. I still see some 5000 mile GT2s that go pretty high.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
GT2 all the way.. it's not hard to drive very easy, but it was once called the widow maker..lol it's timeless..

not a lot of people know how fast the new Cayman S are.. they are very quick..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts