Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just had his engine swapped, the engine he replaced it was from a 02 m3 with about 40k miles on, recently he started hearing a slight tapping or clicking sound which he feels is the rod bearings, my question is how are there any reputable shops that specialize in rebuilding the S54? or is it cheaper to swap it with another engine? I am thinking of purchasing the car for myself and doing the work but I am not sure how much to spend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you sure its the rod bearing? The valves might just need to be adjusted?
Who changed the oil last? and did they use the right oil?

Nam

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
is it making a clicking or a tapping noise? clicking is usually valvetrain. tapping or a deep knock would be rod bearings.

can you take your oil pan off and check?

what oil is he using?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure its the rod bearing? The valves might just need to be adjusted?
Who changed the oil last? and did they use the right oil?

Nam
He had an independent shop change the oil and from what I understand they used the right oil because they purchased it directly from BMW. The funny part is that his original engine with 90k miles had the rod bearing failure and it was making similar noises, so he's going based on that.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
He had an independent shop change the oil and from what I understand they used the right oil because they purchased it directly from BMW. The funny part is that his original engine with 90k miles had the rod bearing failure and it was making similar noises, so he's going based on that.
two rod bearing failures? might be the operator lol.

is he an abusive driver?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
two rod bearing failures? might be the operator lol.

is he an abusive driver?
He's actually not. He takes good care of the car, he's never even done a donut, no burnouts, he babies it. I just texted him and his response was" More like a tap, but knocking is a better description"

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
He's actually not, he takes good care of the car, he's never even done a donut, no burnouts, he babies it. I just texted him and his response was" More like a tap, but knocking is a better description"
ya thats a bearing over wear or failure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow second rod bearing failure??
I am currently in the process of doing a valve adjustment on my M3, if it's a tapping noise and has 100+k on the clock I'm going to bet it needs a valve adjustment. Has he had the inspection II done yet, because thats when they do the valve adjustment.
I might be wrong but I'm almost sure it's probably just a valves out of whack if it's ticking

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow second rod bearing failure??
I am currently in the process of doing a valve adjustment on my M3, if it's a tapping noise and has 100+k on the clock I'm going to bet it needs a valve adjustment. Has he had the inspection II done yet, because thats when they do the valve adjustment.
I might be wrong but I'm almost sure it's probably just a valves out of whack if it's ticking
Even with 40k on the dash? I didn't think the adjustment was necessary till later on. I doubt an 02 with 40k would have a rod bearing failure so early on, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Even with 40k on the dash? I didn't think the adjustment was necessary till later on. I doubt an 02 with 40k would have a rod bearing failure so early on, what do you guys think?
Oh apologize, I misread both your post. I would think the valves would go out of whack before the bearing fails.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts

The s52 engine absoultely could grenade if the bearing clearences were not fixed under warranty... You need to find that out.

I had an 03 and it was a mandatory recall done free of charge and BMW gave a 100K mile warranty.

There are chances the car may have had the extended before it was ripped apart.

100K miles is nothing for that motor with care, maint and the right fluids.

·
L4P Judge Jury & The Executioner
5,783 Posts
I'm confused.. So did he have a reputable independent BMW shop look at it and tell him its rod failure?

Sounds like Valves are out of spec... 40k is not uncommon for a Inspection II which includes valve adjustment..

Could also be the vanos system. Even the injectors tend to loud in these cars.

Best bet is to have a independent shop do the diagnosis before panicking over a easy fix.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm confused.. So did he have a reputable independent BMW shop look at it and tell him its rod failure?

Sounds like Valves are out of spec... 40k is not uncommon for a Inspection II which includes valve adjustment..

Could also be the vanos system. Even the injectors tend to loud in these cars.

Best bet is to have a independent shop do the diagnosis before panicking over a easy fix.
I hope its just something as simple as valve adjustment or the vanos. How much would you guys pay for such car with such uncertainties? 6 speed, Tiag exterior, ebony red interior, 19 inch wheels, navigation, xenon lights, fully loaded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im betting on the VANOS unit giving you fits. You might try contacting Chris at DrVanos.com He is a good friend of mine who knows his stuff. You can look around in the BMW community for many other who will vouch for his work aswell.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im betting on the VANOS unit giving you fits. You might try contacting Chris at DrVanos.com He is a good friend of mine who knows his stuff. You can look around in the BMW community for many other who will vouch for his work aswell.
werd, I vouch for him

·
L4P Judge Jury & The Executioner
5,783 Posts
I hope its just something as simple as valve adjustment or the vanos. How much would you guys pay for such car with such uncertainties? 6 speed, Tiag exterior, ebony red interior, 19 inch wheels, navigation, xenon lights, fully loaded.
Probably find a similar car for low - mid 20's

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
My friend just had his engine swapped, the engine he replaced it was from a 02 m3 with about 40k miles on, recently he started hearing a slight tapping or clicking sound which he feels is the rod bearings, my question is how are there any reputable shops that specialize in rebuilding the S54? or is it cheaper to swap it with another engine? I am thinking of purchasing the car for myself and doing the work but I am not sure how much to spend.
When i was looking into rebuilding a e46 engine the BMW Dealer Ship was charging me 5.5k, however they said they would have it up and running under a week.

Ask your BMW dealership ... also it will be much cheaper to do it your self. however, the S54 is a very complex engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Where abouts do you live? I know a few shops where I live and they specialize only BMWs. I stopped going to the dealership when something is wrong, service is quite expensive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts