Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Shutt SR wheel due to it being a relatively small size and having a flat bottom, leaving me plenty of knee room to move around and turn the wheel without slamming into my leg. Installation was pretty straight forward and I only ended up with it off one tooth to the left on the steering column, but that was quickly fixed.

I forgot to take pictures at the very beginning, but I figured I'd give you an idea on how this works.

First of all, you need to remove the horn button. Easy as pie. Flathead screwdriver and a little bit of prying does the trick.

Once the horn button is off, a 22mm socket and a bit of pressure takes the nut right off. Behind the nut, there was a washer and a collar. Collar goes in the back, washer goes in the front, touching the nut.

I forgot to take pictures of this, but I used a MOMO hub and it was pretty easy to get aligned. I mean... I was only off by one tooth, so that should give you an idea. Once the hub is in place, the collar goes on, followed by the washer, then the nut.

The Shutt SR bolt pattern doesn't quite match the MOMO hub, so they included two adapter flanges to make it fit. This next picture shows the first adapter flange being screwed into place. It takes six screws to hold it in place.

Once all six are properly secured (be sure to screw opposite screws in to even out the pressure!), you can now install the second flange, which is held on by three screws. (I tried to point them out, but it didn't go as planned.)

Once they were installed, I noticed they were slightly offset. This is no big deal considering the wheel hides the flanges.

After the second flange is installed, simply screw on the wheel. And just like magic, there she is! It's a really nice upgrade to the interior and feel of the car. Turning is more point-and-shoot than ever before. The car is EXTREMELY responsive now, especially since this new wheel is 50mm smaller than the old one.

Here's a side view to show how much further the wheel has been "pushed out" due to the hub and two flanges. While you're at it, take a look at that 9 o'clock grip! It's the same on the 3 o'clock side, so there is a LOT to hold onto!

Reaching the turn signal stalk takes a tiny bit more effort, but it's not difficult for me since I have long fingers.

Take a look at the difference. I had the old wheel pressed up against the front of the new one.

PROS: The car is much more responsive to steering input, the grip is far thicker, and I have a LOT more knee room. The wheel is also closer to me, which makes driving more comfortable. Personally, I think it looks good as well. The polyurethane they used on the majority of the wheel looks and feels like real leather, but it's supposedly far more durable. Only the strip at 12 o'clock is leather.

CONS: The wheel partially blocks the gauges, but again, it's not a big deal for me since I can see over the top of the wheel. The horn button also doesn't want to snap into place and sit flush, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I pressed pretty firmly, but it just won't go. Also, the wheel is mainly polyurethane, but again, it looks and feels like leather, so it's not really a con.

I hope you guys enjoyed this little writeup.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Love it! The D shaped steering wheels are my favorite. Such a size difference too.

Reactions: SPDSKTR

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This wheel measures 330mm in diameter at its widest point. I almost bought an NRG-009 wheel, which is 10mm smaller than this one and has a more aggressive flat-bottom. I feel confident this wheel is a good balance of looks and functionality. I can't get over how thick the 9 and 3 o'clock grips are!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts