Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, so I have been slumming it out wearing brooks brothers shirts for too long. Today marks the 7th time one of the elbows on the non-iron shirts has blown out on me, and I am done with brooks brothers for good.

My problem with every dress shirt I have bought, even the few very expensive ones I opted to buy, is that they just don't fit right. Regular trim shirts are huge- alternatively, slim fit shirts still have way too much fabric around the body but are tight as hell around my arms and shoulders... At this point, as long as it fits, I am willing to spend around $200 a shirt for something that is not crap... does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
309 Posts
y not go to a department store and be fitted. even if they dont have something in store you can always find your size and brand and order shirts you like online.

·
Registered
641 Posts
y not go to a department store and be fitted. even if they dont have something in store you can always find your size and brand and order shirts you like online.
+1. I have broader shoulders and narrower waist so it was tough to find the right dress shirts that wouldn't choke out my neck when wearing a tie or be too loose around the waist. I have found Italian designs like Dolce work best with my body habitus but YMMV. Hugo Boss also fits well but their quality has been spotty recently.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The best solution is always to go for bespoke or made to measure. From ready to wear I know that the best shirts comes from Charvet. They are very pricey thought. With 200 usd you could find a Turnbull & Asser or Hilditch & Key(see sea island quality), both shirtmakers from Jermyn street in London, with the second to be much more economical. You can try to buy online or look at your city for any shops that sell these.

·
Registered
869 Posts
YSL, Hugo Boss Black, Versace Collection fill my wardrobe. I typically don't button the top buttons or wear a tie and go down a neck size. I usually wear a 17 but I buy 16.5//42eu.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 on the bespoke/custom
my guy charges $165/ i think which i cheaper than most big names in dept. stores
plus initials=boss

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I just wear tommy hillifiger and kenneth cole - slim fit. I'm tall and skinny with broad shoulders - they've all held up fine. Brooks brothers shirts are like cut for linebackers or some shit - even the slim ones - i asked if they had plans to make ultra slim as they clearly don't know the definition of slim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out Blank shirts. Showroom located on Gloucester St. in Boston. They will fit you, offer great material, and have the shirt made and delivered to you in about 10 days. Price range is $80-$120 per shirt, depending on the fabric you chose.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Spend an afternoon shopping around and trying different brands on? I have a slender build with broader shoulders, but I'm not muscular or built. For me, tailored-fit Hugo Boss and Theory fit very well and can be found at great discounted prices depending on where and when you shop. My dad shops sales and buys Canali shirts which are truly beautiful (always something unique with the fabrics) but are still too expensive for me yet. Ralph Lauren have a couple lines of fine shirts as well.

I'm surprised to hear of your trouble with Brooks Brothers. I will say the non-iron shirts from any brand are something I stay away from, and I wouldn't mark BB off your list based on your experience with that particular fabric type.

edit: One other thing - Theory, mentioned below, was started by a couple guys one of which is Elie Tahari, who left Theory and has his own line. Tahari stuff is beautiful as well.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My vote goes to custom as well. While you may find something off the rack that fits alright, nothing will beat the fit of a shirt that made specifically for your shape.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, spend the time to try on some shirts. If you don't try them on you won't know how they fit. Custom is honestly over rated, with so many different fits... as long as you have a normal body style and build you should be okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
EXPRESS FOR MEN 1MX Slim Fit shirts.

I am 6'1 180 lbs and have always had the same problems you have had, Tried these shirts out and they are the best fit you will find on the market.

Watch out though as there are 3 different styles for the 1MX shirts they offer: Modern , Fitted and Extra Slim

The Extra Slim is what you are after.

They have darts put in the back from the store so they fit nice and close to your body and you wont look like your wearing a parachute like most store bought shirts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I prefer custom made shirts as I can never be comfortable in the ones I buy form department stores. Try M.Kennys Custom shirts. They provide custom tailoring services and charge very low. You can visit their website to know where they are traveling next to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts