Luxury4Play.com banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did a little calculations on this subject. Turns out you don't need some huge glass to do that. The dept and the area of the pool are really the matter of your concern. As the dept is bigger so is the pressure on the surface of the glass, and bigger the area of the pool, the bigger is the momentum created by the mass of the glass on it's basis. This is my really basic calculation just to get you an idea how it works. And yes, it is doable. l4p.jpg

p.s. Adding steel cable frame ( check the documentary on Terminal 3 of Singapore airport ) would make it much less dependent on glass holding the weight of the water.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Imagine how cool it would look standing in your garage and looking up + all the cool effects from the water and sunlight commin through the pool.
Only if the scenery included nude women swimming!

Later,

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
That's a very cool concept im sure it could be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is not impossible but highly unlikely and extremely risky, depending on where you live earthquakes or even soft dirt under your foundation can cause the glass to crack or flex. Even if you were to go through with a project like this, the chances of you even being able to see your cars through the glass would also be unlikely. the glass would have to be ~4 feet thick, bulletproof, and tempered to handle the weight of the water and the heat fluctuations of day and night. with light distortion you wouldnt even be able to make out your cars through 4 feet of watery glass

·
Banned
524 Posts

the effect of water over an enclosed space:

another idea might be to have the main pool drop down beside the garage (with glass portals) and have a shallow wading area above the garage
Best suggestion as of yet. I'd rather have maybe a foot or so over a glass floor, that then goes into a slight waterfall into a pool. It's much easier to achieve and doesn't come with a risk as big. Plus you'd have much nicer light effect through a more thin body of water.

·
Banned
3,270 Posts
Neat idea

Sent from my Power Rangers Emergency Beacon using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Why not just build a glass bottom pool and have the bottom glass painted with a mural of your cars lit by multiple LED's. That way the bottom could sit flat on the earth, and you would still get the effect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think it would be cool, until someone wanted to f**k with you and start shooting the bottom of your pool and dropping heavy things in it. bye bye pool & cars
If the glass is thick enough to support a few tons of water, you would have to drop something PRETTY EFFING HEAVY in the pool to do any kind of damage... And shooting the bottom of the pool? With what? A Mini-Gun?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have seen a garage that matches the floor of a house and each car had its own room like the house above. The house was roughly 30,000 sq feet and the garage matched with showroom lights and a glass garage door, it was pretty badass (not to mention the 15 ferraris including the black enzo) but no i have not seen one below a pool.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Looking upward from the garage and seeing the sky through six feet of water would be really cool, but I'd be too concerned about leaks and structural integrity. It's definitely possible though; you can do anything for the right amount of money.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would be much easier to park cars on glass above your indoor pool.
I was thinking the same thing... I do like the idea of an underground garage under the pool. At the W Hotel here in Scottsdale the valet is under the pool and has a few skylights looking up through the water. It is a really cool effect. So this idea has potential!

·
Banned
88 Posts
maybe do like a hot tube with one car under it. i have always thaught it would be awesome to do a office or dinner room like that. but only if you hada grage like bc (fellow l4per).

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't understand how nobody pointed this out before, but aside from the fact that you might lose some sleep the first few nights, it is completely doable.
You don't need several feet of glass between the water and the cars, as the entire body of water is not acting on each individual point. (Yes, the whole body of water would have to be supported by the entire pane of glass, but it would be far less force than the entire body of water acting on a small point of the glass)
When doing these calculations, the main factors are the weight of the liquid, the pressure above it (atmospheric), and the height of the liquid you want to support (directly above a particular area). Yes it will have to be relatively thick, but only because the moment created in the very center of the glass (the furthest point away from the foundation of the sides) will be fairly large.

This idea is unique and very creative. Id love to see it done.

·
Registered
562 Posts
How does those waterworld places do it then? Where you can go around in tunnels and watch fishes swim on the sides and over you?
Plexiglass?
The strength of an arch is WAY stronger then a flat surface, that is the main reason why they can do it.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts