Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Still a cool idea, I mean it would be costly, and like previously mentioned you would have to light the garage up fairly decently since the water would reflect what it sees. But it would be cool to see 458 or something else underneath but then again, because the glass would have to be so thick I wonder with the distortion that water provides, I wonder how visible it would be in the first place...?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Or...........................spend the money on 3 more exotics in a reguler garage. And if you feel the need, go get a glass of water and look through it at the cars:clap:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dining-Room-Sets-In-The-Word%E2%80%99s-First-Undersea-Resort-Hotel.jpg
This is undersea and if this works my idea should also work!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
if you assume 24' round pool, 4' deep...

Volume = (pi * diameter^2 / 4) * depth
= pi * 24^2 / 4 * 4
= pi * 576 cu ft

Assume temp of 25C, water density is 62.244 lb/cu ft.

Weight = Volume * Density
= (576 * pi) cu ft * 62.244 lb/cu ft
= 112,634 lb

So this is not even the size needed for one 1 park - I don't know how thick the glass panel would have to be to support 250,000lbs across a 30'x30' opening - but it would be hella thick...

I believe you use Acrylic Perspex in such designs - not actual glass - > Poly(methyl methacrylate) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
14,490 Posts
I didn't see this thread till now. My parents old house use to have underground garage. It was big enough for 4 cars and my dad to just give it a total cool feel put a red carpet in the middle of the driveway :laugh: I miss that house :(. Would be hard for me to find pictures of the garage but not the house. I could drive by it and take a few pics and maybe ask the new owners if I could see the garage lol. "hey I use to live here can I see your garage?" don't know how that'll pan out though. Although we didn't have a pool above it or anything. The house itself was above it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As stated before, could it be done? Yeah with enough money about anything is possible. If you used reenforced concrete you could add a couple of 4' x 4' windows at a fraction of the cost, and still see your rides while you swim.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Here's an underwater hotel room. Technically with the same idea, it could be possible. You'd have to do a domed / curved roof. This is because arches and domes support more weight than a traditional wall / ceiling combination, by distributing the weight evenly down the sides and to the ground.

The pool would have to be huge, though, in order to have a decent sized garage. The dome would have to have a steep enough curve to support the weight. Alternatively, the garage could have multiple "bays", each the size of a 1 car garage, lined up. Basically pull the cars underground, then pull into a glass-arched dome under the pool...

·
Registered
503 Posts
As stated a couple of times... would have to be a domed roof, the deeper the pool the stronger the dome. But I'm no engineer...

Also keep in mind that one of the most dangerous things for a car is the sun... and putting your exotic beneath water and glass might only magnify the effects. Move one of the paintings/posters you have on a sunny wall in your house/apartment and you'll see what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Giant pool with multiple bays with dome roofs and a tunnel cross sectioning all that so you can walk from bay to bay. Done.

·
Registered
517 Posts
VERY cool idea. I agree with everything said above. Would be costly, and magnify the sun damnage on your cars.
at the same time... youd have the coolest garage anyones ever seen!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i think it would be cool, until someone wanted to f**k with you and start shooting the bottom of your pool and dropping heavy things in it. bye bye pool & cars

·
Registered
812 Posts
Will not work if you want a full view through the pool. Small windows yes, large scale no.

If your pool has 20,000 gallons of water @ 8 lbs a gallon. That's 160,000lbs to support on glass. It would have to be multiple feet thick.
Not necessarily... A couple of support beams/pillars will do.

On another note, for even more of a sound structure you should take in to account using a spherical type shape for the glass, as seen in all the above pictures, disperses the weight better, sort of like a dam.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts