Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
- HELP! DIY Kitchen Cupboards? -

So we've all seen the modern kitchens these days with the super high finish. Love 'em or hate 'em they definitely make a statement.

My girlfriend closes on a new condo today and looking at her laminate, student rental cupboards we are thinking maybe there is a way to replicate that look ourselves, without spending a huge amount of $. The place already has upped it's value alot in the 3 months to close and the investment plan for this property is low budget higher end. lol. Lots of young professionals and rich students (University city) living in the building and we feel if we sink the minimum amount of $ into it to bring it above alot of the dated units that are commanding a substantial $ amount over the steal we got this one for, we'll have major options for making $ on rental and/or resale down the road (2 years max).

This is essentially what they look like now (not here place):

And this is the look we love:

Because they are frameless it seems like we have a good start. Otherwise I would have said we have to start from scratch and replace them. Everything I've searched has been all over the place from epoxy resin treatments, epoxy paints, taking it to an automotive paint shop, to just replacing the doors.

If I have measurements I would be able to at least price out the door replacements but we've literally only seen the place once because we swept up the deal so quickly.

So, any painters on here? Any ideas? Is this something we could tackle ourselves, or should we be worried. I'm worried about the gloss showing imperfections and potential dust showing in the gloss.

Thanks L4P in advance. :bow1:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I should mention I am fairly handy, just not over experienced in the painting department.

Should be installing a charcoal stone veneer backsplash this weekend. :D Pumped.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rather than paint, you might be better off finding a high gloss laminate veneer and just veneer over the existing. Veneering if pretty easy. One more alternative, although I'm sure it's a longshot is measuring your doors and checking to see if they match up with what Ikea sells. If they do, then it's a very simple swap. new doors and probably new hinges. Their doors are very well priced. I would think that the high gloss laminate would be the most cost effective option though. Not sure where you can get the stuff though. Try going to some cabinet maker supply places like McFaddens. Maybe Lee Valley (they may know where to find the stuff). Exotic Woods in Burlington sells a lot of veneer stuff. They probably don't sell the stuff, but may know where to get it. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any comments on the backsplash? Other options? I love stonework as I'm experienced in it and can get it wholesale.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I guess I read the backsplash part wrong the first time. I thought you installed that somewhere else....

I would take care of the cabinets first then pick a backsplash that compliments it. Also, the stacked stone veneer products are pretty thick (1.5" or so) and will take up more counter space than a standard tile (0.5" for stone max). Also, the uneven surface of the stacked stone will make the outlet covers look bad unless you grind out a smooth recess for them. Not sure if your tools and skill level are up for that. Just things to keep in mind. I can see how a black or charcoal slate with a matte finish would look nice with a high gloss cupboard door though.

Have you thought about the countertop?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
a friend of mine bought new door faces that were high gloss from Home Depot. They look decent and are an inexpensive way to upgrade

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final choice on backsplash:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts