Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping I can get some good clean unbiased advice hopefully from owners of both cars.

My situation, I have a Mrs in a relationship now for 8 or so years, and we have 1 child (5 years old)
I have always been into cars, and when my business become successful, I decided to splash out on a 2010 Nissan GTR. Fact it had back seats so me and the family could go on weekend trips away was brilliant. Now you say, well I answered my own question, I need a backseat so GTR wins, technically yes, but emotionally no.

Here is why, admittedly I have had ADHD as a child, so attention was something I liked. However I used my ADHD positively, and was what helped me keep working hard until where my business sits today. A lot of bad stigma comes with ADHD, especially at a young age, everyone thinks you will amount to nothing, and will end up with a crap job and on drugs. What these people don't know however is over half of the most successful people in the world had ADHD, including Alan Sugar, Richard Branson, couple of the dragons from dragons den, anyway list goes on so do a google search if you want to see all of the top businessman with ADHD.

So with that out the way, I enjoy attention, even more so now because as a child everyone though I would amount to nothing, and now being successful the Car makes me feel good inside, without hurting anyone else. Now of course the R8 now wins when it comes to attention over the GTR. The GTR does turn heads everytime its out, and I have never driven an R8 so can't comment on real life attention in the R8. The 5 months we have owned the GTR, we have only been for 1 weekend away to London in the GTR. So I'm starting to think am I wasting the car and could possibly upgrade to an exotic over pure street racer without any arguments with the Mrs ;)

I am of course aware of bad attention, I have been called every name under the sun in the GTR, from daddys boy, W*anker, show off, rich kid blah blah, im sure you have all experienced this in someway. I'm 28 with a babyface, to a point I look no older than 18-19, so this does not help driving a supercar, a young lad would get a lot more hate than a over 45-50 driving a supercar.

Has anyone here owned both cars, what are your experiences, please no speed or power comparison, I know the GTR is ALOOT faster etcetc. But I'm not looking for pure performance, but more of a make me feel special every time I drive it feeling. Looking forward to any advice, and all thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
So you care nothing about what the cars were built for (performance and speed), but just want the R8 because it makes you look cooler?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get a car because you like it. No one here can tell you what you're going to think, because you'll probably look at it differently. That being said, I'd say they're about the easiest "super" cars to daily drive, and some of the cheaper ones to get into in the first place. If you want attention neither one is going to draw a ton of attention except from other car guys. Go for something you like first of all, then look at the other stuff.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
First of all, R8 V10 or V8. Please get the V10 if possible.

While you will get more attention in the R8, I think you'll have more positive attention-most people see it as art, where the GT-R just looks like a boy-racer car. Also, the R8 certainly feels more special to drive than the GT-R, 100%. It still doesn't have the "special" feeling to the degree that a Ferrari l(ex: Scuderia) has IMO, but a big improvement over the GT-R.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you care nothing about what the cars were built for (performance and speed), but just want the R8 because it makes you look cooler?
Does not make sense, since I bought a GTR in the first place which is all performance but ugly looks. So that's not just it at all, I love the sound of a V8 rumble, I love acceleration, acceleration is what gives me the buzz, not top speed. So in answer to your question, I do care about that aswell, of course I do, but I would also at the same time like something that looks nice people can admire.

It would not be a v10, as there really is no point for V10 money you can buy a Gallardo, and trust me if the choice was between Gallardo and R8, I would not need any advice ;)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Neither car has "sense of occasion" if that is what you are looking for.

*Perhaps you are looking for a gran turismo(great back seat room), db9 or CGT

There is a difference between buying luxury items for other peoples benefit rather than something that makes you feel special/alive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you read things out thoroughly before you comment? Just wondering
I was thinking this, and even if the reason was to "just look cool" what is wrong with that. People buy watches, designer shades, rings, necklaces etc to look cool. These people are not hurting anyone, and it makes them feel good. So I see nothing wrong in that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any pics of your GTR? Any modification? a used 2011 DBS (130k range) will satisfy you, a true classy gentleman car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any pics of your GTR? Any modification? a used 2011 DBS (130k range) will satisfy you, a true classy gentleman car
It has a Stage 1 Ecutek Remap pushing just over 570bhp, splitters and skirts on way to me in matched white to match the car, rather than black (personal preference) Nothing in your face different than a normal GTR.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Owning both I feel like the R8 v10 is the best all around super car. It isn't the fastest, most flashy, or most comfortable but it does them all at once better than anything. I would consider the R8 as a daily driver over any of my other coupes because of the "get in and go" factor.

That being said, I guess it may take away from the driving something special feeling because the car is so accessible and easy to drive. The question is what will feel special to you? You may have to compromise on some features to get that feeling, but it's all personal preference! I say go out and sit in/ test drive the cars you are interested in and see what you like best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't own either a GTR or R8, but if I were you I would get a R8.

I understand you on the part where you want a feel special car, I myself find that I can't let go of my daily car (Jag XF) as it gets a lot of looks and compliments. I am however more into lightweight or small performance cars (Like BMW 2 series or Mini JCW).. The obvious solutions are to get two different types of cars that satisfies your needs, or find the car that satisfies all your needs.

I assume you would be more satisfied with owning an R8 if you don't need GTR-like performance. :)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
It would not be a v10, as there really is no point for V10 money you can buy a Gallardo, and trust me if the choice was between Gallardo and R8, I would not need any advice ;)
The complete lack of torque in the V8 relative to TT GTR will be a big disappointment to you, telling you first hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The complete lack of torque in the V8 relative to TT GTR will be a big disappointment to you, telling you first hand.
This is such a fanboy thing to say. The lack of torque may disappoint you, but for me, I can rarely use all the potential of the GTR's power, so in that effect I feel somewhat short changed. I spend more time cruising through towns, and making noise, and one thing I do know is that the R8 v8 or v10, sounds 100 times better than any GTR.

Tip, to sound less like a fanboy, you should have put something more along the lines of: I did not like the R8 due to the lack of torque, it was very disappointing.

DO NOT tell me I will be disappointed, how on earth do you know what I am like, and what I will or will not like ?

Remember I already own the GTR and am incredibly bored of it, regardless of it being fast. I am am so bored of being so high up like a normal car, so bored of the ugly lines and looks of the car, so bored of how incredibly long it is. I want a more special feeling, down low to the ground, ass kissing the road feeling, V8-V10 rumble behind me !! etc.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
An R8 would suit you much better, it might not be as fast as a GTR, but it is still plenty fast to beat most other cars, and it will bring more attention that a GTR would. Forget about what people are saying about being cool, or being fast or whatever, your money, do what you want. These people are just angry that you've made it, and they haven't

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Why can't we all just get along?

If the R8 catches your attention more than the GTR from a driving perspective, I can guarantee most people in most places will notice you in it. And while neither the 4.2 or V10 have the kick-in-the-pants torque of a twin turbo V6, they're no slouches themselves.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Why can't we all just get along?

If the R8 catches your attention more than the GTR from a driving perspective, I can guarantee most people in most places will notice you in it. And while neither the 4.2 or V10 have the kick-in-the-pants torque of a twin turbo V6, they're no slouches themselves.
Having owned both at the same time, I would highly suggest the R8. For what you are looking for / describing, the R8 wins hands down. You will enjoy every second in that car. My big question to you is whether it will be the R-Tronic, 6-speed or new S-tronic transmission? If I may make a recommendation, try and do a V10 (it will save you from upgrading in the future and they can be had for great prices now) and the manual will be much nicer than the R-Tronic transmission if S-Tronic is out of the question. I have owned both the R8 V8, R8 V10 and Nissan GTR with 750hp. The R8 V10 is the most fun out there!

Let me know if you have had any questions and good luck!

Reactions: lifeoftheparty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, some good honest advice has now started to roll in :) Thank you.

After research whether v8 or v10 it will be a manual, I have no big motorways anywhere near where I live so im guessing manual will be easier to live round, ploddering about in my local town, please correct me if you think different.

I have been to Audi yesterday who are getting an R8 in this week for me to look at, its a black V8, can't stretch to a v10 at the moment, and to be honest, will never really be able to use full power round my local towns. I'll see how that goes, it is not a manual, so will not end up buying it, but would be nice to finally hear and drive one in person.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get an R8 with a 6 speed manual and tint it so no one can see your mug. When you get bored throw an exhaust on it. When you get bored of that twin turbo charge it. /thread

1 - 20 of 40 Posts