Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past years, i've been pretty satisfied with my wash/dry , throw on some mothers wax by hand, take it off then use some sort of spray wax... Now not being so naive, and seeing other peoples people, i'm determined to learn and try new things, after doing some research theres even more steps to detailing than I even thought. Can someone give me some tips on where to start or point be to a sticky thread or informative one, I do not mind practicing on my car ( 04 g35 coupe, black ) because it has 140k, and needs some serious work. I was looking into a portercable on autogeek.net?

Any help will work, yes i am probably in the wrong section, but just trying to learn, new to this fourm has well

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Welcome to the 4!

Not to sound like an ass, but running a search will produce your greatest results. There've been a ton of threads with pics to guide you; how-to articles as well. I would post specific questions you may have after you've done a little leg work. Take your time, there is a lot to learn.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Autopia.org is truly a wealth of information with how-tos, product and process reviews, and general info on how to develop a process of your own which works at any level of involvement. Looking around there is how I started learning about automobile detailing and maintenance. Detailers Domain is a forum sponsor here as well, and they have a huge product offering.

My advice is three-fold. First, read up on how professionals are doing their customer work; they often post the products used as well as how they were applied, so just seeing how often certain products are used and for what intents can help one understand what you might want to use. Second, I've found having the right towels makes a huge difference in my results. They're not necessarily expensive, but just getting the right towels for drying, application of an LSP, buffing, glass or something else helps a lot. And third, I used to just wash, dry, and clean the glass of my car without using an LSP. Implementation of some final stage to finishing (currently Finish Kare 425) leaves a slick finish to help protect the paintwork and remove any streaking left over from drying. It adds maybe 5 minutes.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the 4!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helps alot, thank you i'm gonna check out the site, and try to find some full detail process' and try a couple myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow what an amazing job done. trying to find out the difference between pads and what to use when and with what

·
Registered
182 Posts
These informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base. Written by a Chemical Engineer with over five decades of Concours d’élégance detailing / judging experience.
TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki articles - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136815-togwt%AE-detailing-articles-index-hyperlinks.html

The advent of materials like neutralised acids for paint decontamination, the advances in polymer technologies and the use of vinyl wraps for automobile paint, finely milled micro abrasives suitable for the newer dense paints like CeramiClear® and the new nano-technology coatings are just a few examples of why it’s so important to monitor the industries new products, chemical technologies and ideas that are constantly being introduced, as are the techniques for applying them. There is also a need for the ability to seek clarification or ask questions in 'real time'.

I hope these TOGWT Detailing Wiki articles will become an asset to anyone who is new to detailing; the entry level or advanced enthusiast; professional detailer’s and also industry experts who seek to advance their knowledge of detailing.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Something's going on with the autopia.org site; another very popular detailing site is autogeekonline.net if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking for under 600.. saw a few good looking things on autogeek
There are alot of great websites online where you can find deals and a variety of products to start off. Detailing.com, Autogeek and Detailers Domain (my personal favorite store)

I would recommend starting off by buying a porter cable or a griots polisher (~$150) with an additional backing plate so you can use smaller pads like 3in/ 4in for smaller areas and pillars. Or if you really want a good machine look into the rupes ($350-400). I have one and love it, its a super easy machine to work with and any beginner can learn super fast with it.

Now for pads, there are many different options and brands. My personal favorites for compounding would be either surbuf or meguiars mf cutting pads. For polishing I typically use the rupes pads or uber green or blue from detailersdomain.com

For polishes and compounds, I use a variety of combinations between Meguairs D300, Menzerna FG400, Menzerna SF4000 and Sonax Perfect finish/ Nano Polish. These are typically more expensive but you wont be disappointed. Some other brands that you could look into would be auto finesse and zaino. Just make sure that whatever you use, get a good set of microfiber towels. It will make your whole detailing experience so much better.

Now for a last step protection (lsp) you can choose between a wax or sealant. I personally use alot of Auto Finesse and Swissvax waxes and I can tell you that Auto Finesse has some of the best bang for your buck waxes as far as ease of application and durability. Some other good waxes would be dodo juice or chemical guys. As far as sealants go, take a look at sonax polymer net shield. Its like $30 for a small can but a single application can last up to 6 months and I average about 6-9 cars between a single can.

Hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts