Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done doing one emblem on my wifes 300D, which can get pretty dirty if you let the diesel build up. Took me over 3 hours trying all kinds of methods, of polish compound small microfiber rag with small plastic tool, Qtips, etc. Knowing me perfectionist, I had to get all the dirt out close to the letters (see photo link below). Any advise about doing around emblems, or is it always just a pain in the crotch. Or advise on maintenance for such small areas, like a spray or something?

Emblem after 3 hours of work on one emblem | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Beautiful 300D. It sounds like you have tried everything I was going to suggest (Q-tips and MF towels do the trick for me in most instances). As far as I know, the only 'proper' way to clean that kind of area would be to remove the badge completely. This would allow for those hard to reach surface areas as well as those finicky areas of the badge to be cleaned. Personally, I would not mess with it, given the results you have. GL!

Bradley

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well that's an idea I should have thought to remove the emblems if it isn't too difficult. For that one time cleaning that probably was not done for years, that may have saved a lot of time. Tomorrow I will see how those things are attached for potential future cleaning. With diesel those can get dirty over time. I used a real soft tooth brush too with light polishing compound. Now for regular maintenance I may try my wife's sofr make up brush with car wash soap, and she probably won't even know I used it on her emblems.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Emblems can be really annoying if you don't stay on top it. I took a soft paint brush it worked a bit then I wen't to a harder one and that seemed to do it. Tooth brush could also help. I'm planing on taking off the lettering on the back and just leave the start emblem. Nice looking ride that your wife has.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
remove, clean, replace - if cost effective. some emblems are super expensive (Lamborghini comes to mind at 160 bucks for the rear one). you can remove the emblem in 2 min with heat and fishing line (if adhered) or sometimes by a bolts, or by breaking if snap in style. then hit the whole area with your polishing regimen, then install the new one. Done in 15-30 min in some cases and perfect results...then maintain with weekly washing just like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
598 Posts
remove, clean, replace - if cost effective. some emblems are super expensive (Lamborghini comes to mind at 160 bucks for the rear one). you can remove the emblem in 2 min with heat and fishing line (if adhered) or sometimes by a bolts, or by breaking if snap in style. then hit the whole area with your polishing regimen, then install the new one. Done in 15-30 min in some cases and perfect results...then maintain with weekly washing just like the rest of the car.
Good advice.

I'd follow it up with coating the area with Opti-Coat Pro or CQuartz Finest before installing the emblem again and from there on out cleaning around the lettering will be MUCH easier.

·
Registered
199 Posts
HF Acid and a power washer. Works every time. Just do it super fast, like 2 handed fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts