Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
2009 CL63 Mercedes booked for a 3 day correction detail.

A car that is only a few weeks old really shouldn't need this kind of detail yet, and the reason being?

In under a month this car was detailed TWICE before it came to me, the first time it was a botched dealer prep job and the second time was a detail (by another detailer who claims to fix swirls and scratches) to polish out the scratches put in by the dealer prior.

Upon arrival the car already appeared clean and the wheels were in great shape, until I saw the inners which were still filthy. I know knew what kind of "deatiler" handled the car before me so I figured I had a good amount of work ahead of me.

Enough babbling and on with the detail ;

my little setup for wheel cleaning, the rubbermaid cart is really useful during the wash process

Gloss It wheel gel
Megs APC 3:1 (tires)
Stoners tarminator (tires)
Autosmart Tardis

brushes of choice

Using the new daytona wheel brush I must say I wasnt overly impressed. Yes the design is much more sturdy but the bristles seem too soft to heavier scrubbing and the "sling" problem is still very annoying, yet not many other brushes get behind the spokes and calipers as well

After a quick pre-foam I washed the car using CG CWG and the clayed with Sonus fine green clay, after the clay I did another quick wash with the CWG to strip off some of the protection layed down by Megs last touch QD which was used as clay lube

Sheeting off w/ some DI water

Recently began using an electric blow to aid in the drying process, works well for the mirrors and crevices but still a light wipedown with a WW is necessary to get the paint completely dry

Pulled the car inside for to take some readings and see what we need for correction. Readings were very inconsistent, not suprising because I know the car was just "compounded" by another detailer... he seemed to do a fantastic job, thats why the owner needs to get it re-corrected just days later :lol:

The car didnt have a lot of fine defects, mostly just rids and scratches

After doing a test panel with a few different combos I landed on the following for correction:

P203s w/ a Mirco Surface tuf buf black wool pad in various sizes
Gloss-It evolution Cut or P203s again w/Gloss It green polishing pad
PO85rd w/ Gloss It blue finishing pad

The wool actually finished down pretty good ( I must thank Rick "RickRack: for pointing me to the tuf buf pads and powerfinish combo)

I wanted to get the paint to 98-100% BEFORE the jeweling stage, so later on I could work at lower speeds and really refine the finish without concentrating on further correction.

Working the power finish w/ wool

Refining the wool holos and finer swirls (Evolution Cut and GI green polishing pad)

After

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before

After

50/50

The rear decklid had some deeper RIDS which required 2 separate passes with the tuf buf wool to fully remove at 2100rpm using moderate pressure

Other side corrected, this is after the wool and polishing stages, notice there are still holograms in the paint (after 85rd the holos were refined out, wait for the later sun pics as the garage was too dark to capture a clear shot)

After 85rd

Inisde the license plate area recieved the same 3 step process as the rest of the car, the little 3" gloss-it BP and tuf buf wool pad worked great for the RIDS in tight corners

After jeweling with 85rd

Opened up the garage in hopes to get some sun shots

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head and tailights were corrected w/ Gloss It one step machine gloss and a 3" polishing pad

under the LED

The lower panels were a bit more hacked up, tired my best to capture the defects

After
under the LED

The CL had 4-5 scratches which needed wetsanding, this one was treated with 2000grit followed by 3000grit

Before

After under the infratech

Little 3" wool helps on areas such as side mirrors and around door handles

Finishing up stage 2 of polishing

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last sun shot after correction before applying the LSP

Since the car was new the interior already was in great shape, a through once over wall all it needed.

No leather cleaner was needed
Gloss-it satin leather polish (conditioner) applied
P&S express interior cleaner on plastics and wool trim

Afters

The wheels were treated inside and out with Rejex sealant (x2) for durability, the tires were treated with 2 coats of Gloss It Signature tire gloss

Dressing the engine bay w/ Gloss It TRV

After

50/50 of the tailpipes, treated with Noxon metal polish and #0000 steel wool

All finished

LSP of choice:

Gloss It signature gloss sealant x2
Gloss It Concourso gloss
Gloss Enhancer QD wipedown

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

My favorite (if only the owner was not standing in the shot, I blurred his face)

Total time was just under 23hours

Thanks for letting me share :wink:

·
Banned
56 Posts
Amazing job, I need to find someone that knows what they are doing and have them do my car. Everyone can purchase these equipment with $1000 in their bank account, but only select a few know how to use them. Don't want to pay and get the job like the 2nd detailer had done on this car.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
great job!

Question: i have done this same process to my truck before and the swirls seem to come back a week or so later even without washing the truck...Why is that?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the detailed pics and writing, I hand polish my 2001 Pontiac GTO .I have been thinking about using a small grinder ,proberly practice on my wifes car. Thanks again

·
Banned
8,211 Posts
Unreal Dave! The pics look photo shopped, that is a clean ass mofo brother. I need to schedule something with you when I see you tomorrow. Awesome job as usual. Tri State crew Dave is a local guy and he will be at my meet tomorrow if you would like to meet him. You can see his work is off the charts consistently.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great job!

Question: i have done this same process to my truck before and the swirls seem to come back a week or so later even without washing the truck...Why is that?
That is a very common problem, its called "filling". Basically what happens is the polishes oils and or silicone (if silica is use as a cutting abrasive) end up masking the defects like swirls and scratches instead of fully eliminating them.

You can can polish a panel and buff off the residual polish and find that even in sunlight the ca looks defect free but once the filling fades than your back to square 1.

What polish were you using when this happened? Was it by hand or machine?

Next time try using an IPA wipedown on the paint after polishing. What the IPA (isopropyl alcohol and water) mixture does is remove the oils from the finish after polishing so when you go to inspect the car, what you see is REALLY what you get.

Use 91% IPA solution mixed 1:1 with distilled water and put a sprayer in it.

I use the IPA to prep the finish before waxing or applying sealant as well as its a great way to ensure you have totally stripped the paint of any last oils or even old wax so that you new wax or sealant of choice bonds properly.

I have actually had to fix other detailers who claim to have fully polished cars but in actuality they were just using a very think oily glaze to hide the swirls and such.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dave is a Signature elite detailer well trained and vetted in using Gloss-it products, and has the know how on what steps are needed to bring all the surfaces of any particular vehicle back to "as new".

The following list of services are companys that utilize Gloss-it products as well as others and put out top quality work. Pm me or [email protected] for their contact information.

[email protected] Auto Salon(seattle area) Gold L4P sponsor
[email protected](dallas/ftworth area)
[email protected] detail(northern new jersey area)
[email protected] Ritchie's custom detailing(tampa florida/winter garden)

Sponsors:

Bob [email protected] Auto concierge auto detailing(sf bay area/so cal area w/premier in anaheim(looking for qualified so cal area service)

Rich [email protected] Granite Auto Grooming(gloss-it founder/product formulator/cheif detailer /las vegas nevada

Rich will also add some new services as well, when they are certified as Signature Detailers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts