Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend some desktop PC's for business? It needs to have 32 Bit and the ability to have multiple monitors. It will mainly be used to run a Dealer Management System, and also some Photoshop/Dreamweaver for web. I don't know much about computers, so if anyone can recommend brands/models that would be great...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is price a concern?
Is space a concern?
Are you looking to have an extended warranty?
You running Photoshop and Dream Weaver so I would say at least 4gbs of ram (*8gbs would be best)
Minimum processor would be a i5 (i7 would be best)
You want to run multiple monitors so going need a beefy graphics card
SSD would make the computer faster, but not too necessary in your situation

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For price I would like to keep it under/around $2000ish since I'll be buying a few of them; space isn't really a concern and neither is an extended warranty. Any recommended brands to look into?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
why in heavens name do you want windows 7 to be 32 bit? i dont think they even make 32 bit CPU's anymore.
i'd go with what Forfend said, but seeing as you wont be using intense software, i'm sure you'll be fine with anything with 8gb ram and a core i5. and they can be had pretty cheaply from Dell or HP or something. just make sure it has a separate graphics card (not onboard) so that you'll have multiple outputs for the monitors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I look, it actually doesn't have to be Windows 7. Here's the requirements for the software:

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 32 bit thing appears to be only on the server side. As for the pc depending in how often you use Photoshop and dreamweaver you could get away with a intel core i5 and 4 gb of ram but 8 is recommended, if you plan to use Photoshop consistently I suggest going with an i7. As for brand, probably a Dell. Just make sure to use pc Decrapifier to get rid of all the programs you don't need. As an added note the new cs5 Photoshop is 64 bit ONLY. no 32 bit so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In addition to whats already been said, for more then 4 gb of ram, you need a 64 bit operating system.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would highly recommend the Think series from Lenovo. The waranty support, installed support software and build quality on my laptop have been well beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Under $2,000 no problem, go with Lenovo or Dell, stay away from HP
CDW isn't bad, its easy, but not going be the best price, stay miles away from Bestbuy

Personally if I was you, I would get a Lenovo M-series tower desktop, do a i7 processor, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 8 GB's of ram, 320 hard drives, designated graphics card, and 3 year off site warranty. That will run you around $1,800 however you will have a solid machine for at minimum 3 years.

How many monitors are you trying to hook up to the computer? 2? 3? 4?

I would highly recommend the Think series from Lenovo. The waranty support, installed support software and build quality on my laptop have been well beyond my expectations.
I can agree with gungriffin, I still use my 7 year old Lenovo (former IBM) T60 and it works amazing. 2 years ago I bought the T410 and love it a lot, got the accident warranty so every year when I accidentally crack the screen I get a new one, there support is great, build quality is uncomparable, literally feels so sturdy, yet light weight. I will always buy Lenovo as long as they keep up the high standards

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why are you telling him to stay away from HP? Just curious.
Well for one I think they have poorly designed/made and overpriced products, from personal experience, friends experiences, and professional reviews
Secondly they are refocusing their company away from laptops, desktops, and tablets

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Well for one I think they have poorly designed/made and overpriced products, from personal experience, friends experiences, and professional reviews
Secondly they are refocusing their company away from laptops, desktops, and tablets
I'm not sure how a desktop computer can be poorly designed.

I'm not sure on the pricing scenario I know we have had great experience with HP desktops, servers. We recently moved to Lenovo laptops as they have a very nice universal docking station.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Under $2,000 no problem, go with Lenovo or Dell, stay away from HP
CDW isn't bad, its easy, but not going be the best price, stay miles away from Bestbuy
I concur. Go with Dell. If the software requirement calls for 32 bit, no use getting a fancy $2000 system either. Get a Optiplex and upgrade your Videocard and you should be good to go.

Dell has recovered from its reputation and their warranty support is top notch these days, IMO.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Some tips...

- 64 bit
- Min. of 4gb of RAM
- Min. 512mb dedicated RAM graphics card with either dual DVI inputs or DVI/HDMI so you can have dual monitors
- A warranty of some sort is advised from a business standpoint, I strongly dislike DELL computers but their support is supposed to be top notch for business
- I personally would go with an HP tower, you can get the loaded performance versions for great prices well under $2k

$2k for a PC though? That is nuts in comparison to what you are talking about. A fully loaded gaming performance system can run you up to $1500 to $1700 and that is a very high price range. I would average a price point of $800 - $1200 with some type of warranty included in there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Now that I look, it actually doesn't have to be Windows 7. Here's the requirements for the software:

That is old software.

Check with the developer to see if they have a newer version, the fact it is still specking out a P4 and a gig of RAM shows that the product is about 3 sheets in the wind and should be retired.

Good luck with finding a 32 bit computer nowadays.

As for Pro’s and Con’s on using HP’s as hardware, my company is primarily a HP based house, desktop and server, in the four office locations I currently have I have 129 HP desktop systems, in the last 2 years with those boxes I've had 2 failures due to hardware issues, I've had many failures due to inept employees either kicking over the boxes or setting coffee on top of the tower and slipping it.

Some of the issues of the dead boxes would be fixed if I would switch to SSD for the hard drives or simply sending my tech out and laying all the units on their sides.

For laptops I primarily use Lenovo’s for the users while the IT staff is both HP and Lenovo’s

Find a PC company you like, Dell, HP, IBM, get the warranty with the units and call it a day.

We are federal, so we use CDW-G for all parts but the vendor is totally your call, I prefer CDW-G as I’ve used them for about 10 years now.

For basic computers for an office there is no need to drop more than a grand per box, anything above that is about useless.

If you can’t or they don’t make a 64-bit version of the software, simply run the software in XP mode and again, call it a day.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
In addition to whats already been said, for more then 4 gb of ram, you need a 64 bit operating system.
Could be running a PAE linux kernel?? I guess probably not if he is asking for advice and since this discussion is windows dependent. All of these suggestions are fine, you will probably need less computer than you expect too, depending on what you have used in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts