1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I believe that there is a demand for contemporary homes, but I would actually like to see is contemporary apartment/condo structures in areas that are traditionally much different design. A perfect example of this would be Orange County, California. I believe that there is a huge market for well priced contemporary apartments that allow for a city community style living space, problem is that the big developers out here just keep producing the same crap for small families of 3-5.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
There's definitely a demand for contemporary homes. They've become increasingly popular (thank god). Just watch out if you try to build very modern design. They quickly become much more expensive to build. The custom modern homes I've seen around my area are beautiful - the ones spec' builders are trying to do are pretty lame, they for the most part are taking their knowledge of traditional style homes and thinking it becomes modern just by squaring off a few things and changing a couple of finishes.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I think, for the most part people do secretly desire to have a modern home but don't want to pay the price to live in one. With that in mind, you could either remodel a smaller house in a modern like style of build smaller more affordable modern homes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Being in downtown Toronto - I think the key is finding the balance for the neighborhood & the buyer. Do you want to be the that stands out? Do you want to keep classic features typical of the neighborhood, but modernize the interior? I think it all depends.

I've seen 3-4 contemporary ones that just don't fit in my 'hood. But then there are 2-3 in my in-laws that I absolutely love.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Being in downtown Toronto - I think the key is finding the balance for the neighborhood & the buyer. Do you want to be the that stands out? Do you want to keep classic features typical of the neighborhood, but modernize the interior? I think it all depends.

I've seen 3-4 contemporary ones that just don't fit in my 'hood. But then there are 2-3 in my in-laws that I absolutely love.
Bingo. Contemporary homes in my neighborhood stick out like a sore thumb as most are plantation/island style or more classic (mine is white stucco with burnt orange Monier tile roof). Just flows better with all the coconut and palm trees. I chose a more modern interior with tempered glass tables, black and white leather Natuzzi furniture, 24" tile marble floor, black galaxy marble counters, white carrara marble bathrooms, tempered glass showers and chrome Brizo fixtures all around. Balanced this with more classic Balinese teak pocket sliding doors and cherry wood cabinets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your feedback. Really considering starting a company that builds contemporary homes now, just thinking if Toronto is the right market to get started (not that there is anything wrong with Toronto, just think there may be more of a realistic demand elsewhere).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Single large modern dwellings may be a tough sell for anything over 3mil...most buyers in that range are conservative and probably don't like that style. I think a better investment would be modern townhouses in a great location that would appeal to young couples or professionals priced around 800-1.2. Done right the floor plan may be small, but with larger windows and efficient use of the space modern design will benefit here and look really cool. Broader market for buyers and similar projects already a success in Toronto...seems like a good plan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Following zorikos' theory on "large modern dwelling may be a tough sell for anything over 3mil..." does anyone have any suggestions as to what styles people are looking for when going over $3M? Specifically in the Toronto area...

Basically, what is the most popular style of house over $3M in Toronto and it's surroundings?

OR, what is the most popular style of house over $3M in YOUR area? (state style and area please)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks for all of your feedback. Really considering starting a company that builds contemporary homes now, just thinking if Toronto is the right market to get started (not that there is anything wrong with Toronto, just think there may be more of a realistic demand elsewhere).

Thanks again!
Toronto, Oakville and Burlington is a good area to do this on this side of the country.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Following zorikos' theory on "large modern dwelling may be a tough sell for anything over 3mil..." does anyone have any suggestions as to what styles people are looking for when going over $3M? Specifically in the Toronto area...

Basically, what is the most popular style of house over $3M in Toronto and it's surroundings?

OR, what is the most popular style of house over $3M in YOUR area? (state style and area please)
Location location location, as for homes old 100 years old plus stone homes

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thanks again!
Calgary is another interesting market with respect to contemporary home construction. There seems to an explosion of these types of homes and infill going up throughout the city.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I was surprised to see that kind of architecture in Calgary with extreme range of temperamental weather throughout the 4 distinct seasons. Plenty of these types of box style homes with garage access in the rear lane especially in older established neighborhoods.

As for $3 million + homes, there's some of that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was surprised to see that kind of architecture in Calgary with extreme range of temperamental weather throughout the 4 distinct seasons. Plenty of these types of box style homes with garage access in the rear lane especially in older established neighborhoods.

As for $3 million + homes, there's some of that.
You have good taste. The first link you posted is a really terrific location and you can see the skyline through the front door (glass). Very nice.

Couple more standouts for me - in no particular order!

C3584677, 2540 TORONTO CR NW, St Andrews Heights, Calgary, Alberta Â* T2N3V9

C3574096, 1551 WINDSOR ST NW, St Andrews Heights, Calgary, Alberta Â* T2N3X5

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love those houses, it's exactly that niche that I'm trying to target.

Thanks for the share, I would personally choose 2540 Toronto CR NW or 401 33 AV SW. Just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts