Luxury4Play.com banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think that price is a bit high, but with all the money in mods I suppose it's fair. An extreme amount of mods like this does add value. Then again I didn't get to see what kit or upgrades was on it to make it to 700hp, I have seen kits from $10,000 to $30,000. Adding an exhaust and intake wouldn't increase price over stock one, but dumping $10,000 or more in upgrades certainly makes the price go up, you will NOT get your money back, maybe half if that though.

Honestly I see where you're coming from, they can sell all these luxury vehicles but make a simple mistake of not adding a reserve? Also, if the starting bid was set at $100,000 that means, IMO, that is the least they were willing to take for it. Why would you set a starting bid $40,000 less than what you wanted? I'm not sure how eBay works because Ive never even used it, but I'd imagine setting your starting bid to the absolute lowest you'd take for it would make much more sense. I mean there is NO guarantee that the bidding will go up another $40k to get what you want.

You also have to look at it through their eyes, $40,000 is a lot of money. All of you saying they should just eat it to save some face, would you do that if you were in the sellers shoes? Would you throw away $40,000 to make one customer happy? Honestly, I wouldn't, I'd apologize as much as I possibly could and try to convey how big and dumb of a mistake it was and then try to work out a deal, maybe meet you in the middle so we could both come out somewhat happy. But I would absolutely NOT lose $40,000 for one bad eBay rating.

But hey, like some others posted other people have won cases like this and gotten cars for a steal because the dealership caved into public pressure once the story got rolling and they were getting a lot of bad press, so you may luck out. Either way I hope it works out for you!

My god that was a long post. :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Modifications

Before I bid on the car, I did have some concerns about the modifications. First, most people would consider a Turbo S to be a very well-sorted sports car that probably doesn't need a lot of extra "help". In fact, trying to modify a car from its original state can really raise a lot of questions for potential buyers like myself as well as depreciate it in the future (eg. Any forum interest in a Ferrari f355 with ostrich seats and a 100hp shot of nitrous?):

-Was it used as a track car?
-Was it "hard-launched" every other red light?
-How Reliable will it be after the modifcations?

Second, this is a 2012 which should have warranty out to 2016, but now Porsche won't take any responsibility for the engine, the suspension, or possibly anything else. I don't know how Porsche handles these situations, but I know Audi won't even replace a soft top on a Stasis-modified vehicle. So now the new owner takes on a large degree of liability if the car has a problem even if it's obviously not from the modifications. If you were to buy a used stock Turbo S, the odds are actually good that you'd be CPO'd out to 2018.

Don't get me wrong, I DID buy the car (ie. placed the "winning" bid), and I DO like some of the additions, but there are strong reasons why I wouldn't add them myself. In my opinion, the modifications are a near wash with the downsides above.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Where are you located? Any chance of driving there to discuss in person? Have you had any other contact with them besides the messages you posted about a few pages ago? Seeing as they've already re-listed it in several other places I doubt they're going to want to work on this issue with you, might as well just move on it's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
So let me get this straight, You basically want to take advantage of someone who obviously made a mistake when listing the car?
Dealers list allot of cars all the time on Ebay and occasionally people make "human error" listing mistakes. This is exactly what is wrong with society today, If they were jerks about it thats one thing but when the guy tells you he won't honor the deal because of an error the gentlemanly thing to do would be to accept it and move on. Jumping on a bashing the poor guys dealer on an open forum seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.
Would you really be ok with the fact that maybe they own the car for more than $100,000 and would be taking a loss just to honor your deal? I know you spent all that time clicking the "Bid" button. Common man.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
So let me get this straight, You basically want to take advantage of someone who obviously made a mistake when listing the car?
Dealers list allot of cars all the time on Ebay and occasionally people make "human error" listing mistakes. This is exactly what is wrong with society today, If they were jerks about it thats one thing but when the guy tells you he won't honor the deal because of an error the gentlemanly thing to do would be to accept it and move on. Jumping on a bashing the poor guys dealer on an open forum seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.
Would you really be ok with the fact that maybe they own the car for more than $100,000 and would be taking a loss just to honor your deal? I know you spent all that time clicking the "Bid" button. Common man.
LOL... The price isn't that low. It's not like he won it for $40,000. $100,000 is very close to market value. Do you think they just randomly set the base price at $100,000.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Engine mods can, so you're pretty much saying a twin turbo gallardo is worth the same as a stock one? Another ignorant comment.. LOL
Ignorant? Dude why are you so quick to mouth off to people? Generally speaking, no they don't. Modded cars do not sell well. It's too much of a liability for the buyer. Most of the time people will part out the aftermarket parts before they sell the vehicle.

I know you don't have a lot of experience in buying and selling cars, but engine mods (generally speaking) do not increase the value of the car.

If the value ever increases its always marginal and its because of a ton of upgrades like wheels, body, paint, etc. Hence why some full built GTR's are selling for about 100k. Anyone who modifies a car knows they are going to eat the cost in parts, which is why most people keep all the stock parts to switch back to once they ditch the car or they just take a loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont understand why some of you guys do not comprehend what the dealer was trying to do with this auction. they started the auction at a high price point of 100k with NO RESERVE. the no reserve usually makes people look at it and say "hey i can potentially get this car for a pretty good deal compared to all these others with reserves at x amount more!" the dealer put it up with no reserve in hopes of having some type of bidding war start that never came to be. our friend blknblk happened to place a bid that was never challenged and he won the car fair and square. not putting a reserve on an auction is a conscious decision, its not something you just "forget" to do. even if they did forget to do it, you can go back and edit the auction to add a reserve, or remove the auction, or alot of different things to protect yourself from selling something for cheaper then you had hoped for.

bottom line is blknblk won the auction fair and square, he bid, nobody else did, and he has the right to buy the car at the price the auction ended at. ebay has very strict rules laying this out very plainly for all parties involved. the rules were posted a couple posts before mine in fact.

there have been numerous cases in which this has happened with cars, off the top of my head i can think of 2 gtrs, 1 brz, 1 frs, 2 m3s, 1 challenger, and i think an sti a couple years ago that have all been sold without reserves "by accident". in EVERY case, the buyer bought the car they won at the price they won it at.

blknblk my suggestion for you, if you really want to buy this car for the price you won the auction at is to send this story to jalopnik and autoblog. they love running stuff like this and those 2 sites will get the pressure you would need to have the dealer sell you the car. i also like the reddit idea, post it up in /rcars or one of the other car related sub-reddits and they can and will do alot of the leg work for you. i wouldnt be surprised if this was already posted there in fact.

please feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Reminds me of a bunch of damn gossiping women.

"That's YOUR man. She shouldn't have taken him. Derp derp."

Car will not be yours, no matter how many teenage guys chime in on the topic and insist that you're entitled to it. Get an attorney involved or move the phuck on. Can't stand shit like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Those are not $40K margins. Google harder. There's no advantage to spending hours crying to the e-police, over hiring an attorney, if one is that dead-set on having his/her way with the issue. OP won't be compensated, I guarantee.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Some people seem to have misconstrued this thread. If it was read from the beginning, you would see that the intent was not to "whine" or "bash the dealer" (because neither has happened). It was simply to get reactions from forum members with the remote chance the dealer might honor the auction he listed (he did have to push a button to set the price, and he did have to push a button to place the auction and agree to Ebay's terms after he took the time to make the listing) . I have no intention of hiring an attorney over this matter, and I have not lost a moment's sleep over it.

My appreciation goes out to the entire forum for chiming in!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Has anyone thought to go above the head of whom you are dealing with? Intentionally bashing the reputation of any business can be a fine line illegal. I don't know whom you have spoken with, I would guess the sales manager/internet department. They won't honor that sale, because they are going to catch an ear full from the person above them.

Most dealerships if you get in touch with either the president or owner they will honor the sale. 40k is a little more of an extreme margin, but I can see him meeting you somewhere in the middle. You'll still get a good deal and they might not be so hard headed to negotiate. Just my .02cents. I've seen similar deals mis-wrote in the past. They were honored for the sake of good business ethics, that is after it was passed up the chain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i agree with some people here, that is your car. if it was the other way around im sure ebay and the seller would be all over you on an item you won and didnt want it anymore. check ebay rules and then sue , maybe some already said it. i feel for you man, good luck with the process.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Did anything ever come out of this???

61 - 80 of 84 Posts