Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the DCT transmission on the new M3 over a standard 6-speed? I'm in the market for an M3 and haven't heard much hype over the DCT setup. From what I've read I understand the DCT setup is essentially a dual clutch that allows for super fast shifts. I owned an e36 5-speed and loved the manual but the DCT sounds pretty cool too. Help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I personally own a '11 m3 and i gotta admit the switches are veryyy quick even without the paddle shifters. Havent' had much experience with anything other than DCT for M3's so i cant really compare them sorry bro but like i said DCT for the new M3's are very fun
And its 7 gears o_O

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone have experience with the DCT transmission on the new M3 over a standard 6-speed? I'm in the market for an M3 and haven't heard much hype over the DCT setup. From what I've read I understand the DCT setup is essentially a dual clutch that allows for super fast shifts. I owned an e36 5-speed and loved the manual but the DCT sounds pretty cool too. Help would be much appreciated!
You might want to do some reading on the topic which will help your decision, here is some good reading for anyone on the topic of the DCT, probably more info than anyone will ever want:

Drivetrain losses, DCT vs. Manual: E92/E9X M3 Drivetrain Losses Explained - DCT (dual clutch transmission) vs. Manual

Taking it apart and building it: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i prefer DCT, i have driven both. tracked an 08 m3 for about a year and wasn't impressed with how the 6spd transmission handled it. 1st and 2nd gear got really 'sloppy' and eventually needed replacing (we did rag on the car a lot though). Did the same with the DCT transmission and doubt ill go back to a normal clutch when a dual clutch transmission is available.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take a look at the articles you've attached Senior Fancy Pants.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
yeah, the DCT is a really developed system. Actually its one of the few systems I would prefer over a real manual if I had a choice.

Go with DCT!!!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I have driven both and I gotta say, when paddles are quick they are amazing, and the DCT is a blast. I would go with the DCT.
If it was between SMG and 6speed i'd say 6speed, but the DCT is just sooooo much quicker.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
+1 I wish I can have DCT instead of my SMG

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I drove a 2009 6speed last weekend and was not impressed. That being said, I've never been a big fan of BMW's manual gearboxes.
Why would that be? Getrags are the best manuals out there.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My supra has a getrag transmission and it 'feels' a lot better than the getrag transmission they used in the new BMW's but regardless they do make good transmissions.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
The throws are too long/loose and the clutch is too spongey. (Both correctable i know) but out of the box it feels very detached.
I dont know what kind of rental you've been driving but I dirve a lot of manual BMWs and other Getrags and they are the complete opposite..:confused:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I dont know what kind of rental you've been driving but I dirve a lot of manual BMWs and other Getrags and they are the complete opposite..:confused:
I've driven everything from a 2002 tii all the way up to a modern M6 (probably about 20 BMWs in total) and I just don't like their manual transmissions. It's my opinion and I'm entitled too it ;)

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
DCt all the way

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like there is a lot of support toward the DCT setup. I'll make some time to go for a test drive and test out a 6-speed and DCT and see what I like. I do like the super quick shift of the DCT though.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've driven everything from a 2002 tii all the way up to a modern M6 (probably about 20 BMWs in total) and I just don't like their manual transmissions. It's my opinion and I'm entitled too it ;)
+1 which is why the most common mod for a 6speed BMW is a SSK

1 - 20 of 46 Posts