Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not going to be one of those "I have $500,000 which car should I buy" kind of threads. I am looking to get input on what would be a good daily driver. Right now I'm looking at a 2011 328I sports package 6 speed.priced range is up to $30k. I'm also looking at the 335i but not sure about reliability. There is also the Audi A4/A5, g37. Something reasonably priced, comfortable, reliable. Mods feel free to delete if there are similar threads to this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Besides your price range...what is your maintenance range? You don't want to buy a $30k car you can't afford to fix...

·
Registered
553 Posts
A Challenger R/T :D

Reactions: MasterWhite

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Besides your price range...what is your maintenance range? You don't want to buy a $30k car you can't afford to fix...
Good question, nothing crazy. I thought the 3 series BMW's were bulletproof engine wise, I guess that leaves other expenses like brakes, tires, basic maintenance.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
G37x... As a daily driver I rather have the sedan but the coupe works too

·
Registered
490 Posts
My wife drives a '12 Audi A4 S-line 6 speed. It's a pretty nice daily driver, pretty good on gas since it's just a 2.0 turbo and the Quattro is useful in the climate we live in. In the two years we owned it, we haven't had a single issue with it. Pretty solid car. But I'm not sure I would buy any German car without full warranty.

As others have said, Infiniti is good value for your buck. I've always been really impressed with their interiors and overall design/look. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
X2 - Don't jump into a Euro if you can't afford the worst-case scenario. Common trap waiting to happen.
x3

Don't be one of those people who buys a used mbz, bmw, or audi, then be surprised when you get the service bill. Seriously hate those people. Every once and awhile you will you hear those stories...

"I bought a 2004 mercedes cls and can't believe the service cost $400, WHAT A RIP!!!" well duh, what did you expect just, because you bought a car for $25k which at one point was almost worth a $100k doesn't mean the service price is gonna change.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Holy GOD! I can't believe how ridiculously inexpensive a G37X is!!!!

You can get an 09' with all the bells and whistles for only $18,000!

Similar in performance to a Porsche Cayman S! Damn I want one!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
x3

Don't be one of those people who buys a used mbz, bmw, or audi, then be surprised when you get the service bill. Seriously hate those people. Every once and awhile you will you hear those stories...

"I bought a 2004 mercedes cls and can't believe the service cost $400, WHAT A RIP!!!" well duh, what did you expect just, because you bought a car for $25k which at one point was almost worth a $100k doesn't mean the service price is gonna change.
I love those guys. Especially the ones that get a used high end car but have NO mechanical experience at all. Except for obvious computer issues you can pretty much do almost all the work on your own car. But these whackos go to the dealer and get raped for something that would have cost them 50 to 100 bucks DIY.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you thought about brand new cars that are maybe a little less flashy? For example - Ford Focus ST. Excellent performance for the price, lots of utility, nearly all of the creature comforts that you can imagine, and all for under $30K with a new warranty. Alternatively if you are looking for a better name than "Ford" I would suggest a MY2008+ Lexus IS350 based off of your requirements. It's reasonably prices, very reliable, comfortable, and has a higher level of 'class' than a Focus.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Holy GOD! I can't believe how ridiculously inexpensive a G37X is!!!!

You can get an 09' with all the bells and whistles for only $18,000!

Similar in performance to a Porsche Cayman S! Damn I want one!!
The sexy coupe version? 2011 onwards with revised facia! DO EEETTTTT.....!!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The sexy coupe version? 2011 onwards with revised facia! DO EEETTTTT.....!!!
Hellz yeah the coupe is a ridiculous steal. Such a slight revision, though. My only gripe is it's limited to a top speed of 145mph. At least that's what some of the reviews are saying.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input. I really like the G37 suggestion as it seems to be the best buck for your buck. Looking forward to hearing more from people who had first hand experience with such cars.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I love those guys. Especially the ones that get a used high end car but have NO mechanical experience at all. Except for obvious computer issues you can pretty much do almost all the work on your own car. But these whackos go to the dealer and get raped for something that would have cost them 50 to 100 bucks DIY.
I don't care about taking my car to someone who had schooling on the brand of vehicle that i'm driving. I'm not good with the little things, hell can't remember the last time I changed a tire. I just hate these people who "specialize" in german or high end cars. Time and time again I would take my mercedes to them, and then when I go to pick it up they tell me "yeah are computer can't read the codes so we don't know what's wrong, you have to take it to the dealers" oh jeez thanks for wasting my time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I drive a 328i daily and love it. Has enough power for the daily grind while still maintaining great fuel economy.
Mine is a 8 speed and find it great, very quick changes in manual mode. Only thing I would suggest if you get one is make sure its got sports seats, I find them much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't care about taking my car to someone who had schooling on the brand of vehicle that i'm driving. I'm not good with the little things, hell can't remember the last time I changed a tire. I just hate these people who "specialize" in german or high end cars. Time and time again I would take my mercedes to them, and then when I go to pick it up they tell me "yeah are computer can't read the codes so we don't know what's wrong, you have to take it to the dealers" oh jeez thanks for wasting my time.
Yeah I understand. Sometimes you really have to research these independent garages. There are several independent German garages in my area. Over the years I've come to rely on only a couple. I ran away from the guys that have no real explanation for what they couldn't do to my car or the jackasses that break something else while they're trying to work on the car. My favorite ones are the guys that use the explanation "You know these are finicky cars." Yeah, right. That's like a cardiologist saying "Hey you know that heart is a slippery, tricky little organ." Yeah, I'm running away from you. 3 indicators I use as a rule of thumb when judging an independent garage:

1). Are the mechanics professional and knowledgeable.
2). Does the garage have an enormous number of cars collecting dust waiting to be worked on.
3). Does the owner or manager have confidence in his business.

A fourth one I could have listed was facilities. But I would figure people that own high end cars and know that their cars require professional attention would take note of whether the people have up to date equipment and ASE certified mechanics. Managers or owners with a shadey disposition don't get my return business. Nasty, sloppy mechanics that goof around and waste time on your premises? You're not getting my business either. You usually have to end up coming or calling back 2 or 3 times because they've lied about their turnaround time or worse--My car is still sitting there never having been touched. Yeah, I will ask for my keys back and take my business elsewhere really quick.

My 2 garages I go to have professional, knowledgeable people and up to date equipment. When you can tell me what's going on with my car and how you'll fix it before you even open the hood? When you call me on time or early to let me know you're done with my car? When you handle whatever issues you're going through with parts and delivery on your own instead of calling me to whine about what went wrong? Yeah you'll get my lifetime business.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts