Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Viper Rear

What kind of RWHP are people putting down through a stock rear? Also, what kind of power/ abuse can they take? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Contact: DC PERFORMANCE ---------------------------------------------------------L4P sponsor----------------------------------------->

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure theres some knowledgable Viper owners on here who can help me out. Calling would defeat the point of this forum!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I made 723RWHP and 879RWTQ through mine on the old setup, should make 900-1000RWHP on the new turbo setup, I'll have more info in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
335/35/17 Hoosier DR, dead hooked from a 30mph roll. It'll be on a 27" M/T on the new setup with 18's. Never 60' the car, half shafts are your issue there. I had a more track oriented car prior to this one, this one will most likely never see the drag strip so I'm not worried about it.

·
Bronze Sponsor
141 Posts
The 2008-2010 Vipers use the Dana Super 44 rear end. The posi-unit is much improved over the early trac-lock and later hydrolock units. It's what they call a Visco-lock and is much stronger and positive. In non-drag race use these rear ends can handle 1000rwhp without issues. For better traction and reliabilty under extreme use we change the posi to the new GKN Super-lock and install 300m cages in the CV halfshafts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What year car?

The diff itself is very strong, but if you're going to be doing any drag launches on slicks you'll need to brace the actual diff housing. They are known to crack, especially if you're making over 800rwhp.

Long before that you'll need to upgrade the half shafts. Uni-trax work great unless you're making monster power, then the Mark Williams stuff is the way to go. I hear underground makes their own parts which look pretty sweet.

As far as the guts, I firmly believe that with even moderate HP upgrades the stock limited slip needs to go. Yes they are way expensive, but just driving a car with a quaife upgrade will make you a believer!

But from my personal experience through thousands of miles, you can very easily put 1k rwhp through the stock diff with upgraded half shafts, providing you keep it off slicks. Doing burnouts at the dragstrip is very hard on the limited slip and will kill it in short order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts