Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's friend is an aerospace engineer who runs the full motion simulators for Continental. He told me he'd ever call me if a spot opened up but it's rare that they do so I could come take a tour and FLY!

Last night got the call and spent the entire evening flying Jets! I don't have a pilots license. I've flown my buddies Cessna for about 30 seconds mid-air and that is it.

This was hands down the most realistic, insane, badass, indescribable experience of my life. I got HD video of it but haven't uploaded yet. Here are a couple crappy shots from the iphone camera.

By the end of the night I took off in Honolulu, flew around the island, lined up to land with zero auto pilot and put it down perfect. The guy who got us in told me how impressed he was with how good I was. Guess all those flight simulator video games as a kid paid off haha.

These were "D" simulators which means the are as REAL as it gets. The FAA allows pilots to clock hours in them just as if they were in the real planes and they can even go straight from simulator to passenger full plane with zero test flights. So real, so cool, if anyone ever gets the chance you've gotta do it. Once in a lifetime.

Lined up on runway 27 in Houston. This was in the 757. The 737 was brand new and had insane projectors with the most lifelike features imaginable.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I failed to mention is he had me and my best friend run through the whole drill on the 757 and got us taking off and landing in good conditions. Then he switched us over to night time which was hard as hell but dooable. Then he said "how confident are you". I said "let's do this". He switched me over to landing in Denver in a fuggin Blizzard!!! I crashed it! I crashed it so hard that I threw the instructor to the back of the plane (he wasnt buckled in) and he couldnt hit the abort button. The thing was literally shaking us so incredibly violently, images of us doing cartwheels all over the screen and honestly felt like I was dying. I closed my eyes, let go and almost screamed like a little girl.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
What I failed to mention is he had me and my best friend run through the whole drill on the 757 and got us taking off and landing in good conditions. Then he switched us over to night time which was hard as hell but dooable. Then he said "how confident are you". I said "let's do this". He switched me over to landing in Denver in a fuggin Blizzard!!! I crashed it! I crashed it so hard that I threw the instructor to the back of the plane (he wasnt buckled in) and he couldnt hit the abort button. The thing was literally shaking us so incredibly violently, images of us doing cartwheels all over the screen and honestly felt like I was dying. I closed my eyes, let go and almost screamed like a little girl.
wow that sounds really intense

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
damn that sounds awesome!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Ahahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

Man that's sounds amazing, minus the beating. Such a cool experience!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
that sounds awesome....i would love to do that
my mom got to do that...said it was a thrill. i have been there (when i interned for united space alliance) but never got to do the simus

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 777 was booked so he said i shoukd cone back and fly it sometime soon. I actually liked the 737 the best. A lot more nimble and the 757 power fought you at timea. Almost like havin a high hp car in the rain.

He said each simulator was around $20 mil. I dont know what one costs to maintain but if i ever hit the lotto... Haha. Ill keep dreamin.

I gotta get the video uploaded that my buddy shot of me on his dslr.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When i got engine run certified on the F-22 we had to do it in the simulator....didnt actually get to do any flying but i did end up in the grass during an emergency procedure which is why you practice in a simulator. It was like a Disney World ride times a million.....i loved every time i got to do an engine run in the real thing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Very tight. Listened to a guest speaker in my CS class from a software company that makes programs for this type of setup. It was insane the amount of data & specifics for each city and airport you can choose from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts