Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question is a bit broad and very vague but those that build or have built a home what is cost for following.

5k sq ft home (lower high end) cost per sq ft (not including land)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
where are you located. I find this to be the biggest issue, also what style of house? The range can be quite drastic. Where we build even, very high end homes can range from $400-$1,500+ per square foot.

More affordable homes around here can come in at $200-$300.

$300-$400 can give you a very nice home with lots of custom stuff.

Funny thing is I believe the national average is around $110 per square foot with the national average size being 1,800

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where are you located. I find this to be the biggest issue, also what style of house? The range can be quite drastic. Where we build even, very high end homes can range from $400-$1,500+ per square foot.

More affordable homes around here can come in at $200-$300.

$300-$400 can give you a very nice home with lots of custom stuff.

Funny thing is I believe the national average is around $110 per square foot with the national average size being 1,800
I'm in Louisiana and I know stuff is def. cheaper here. I'm just trying to get a feel of what others have going on. My builder just gave me his estimate on building a home for me (Mediterranean Style- similar to this but 5k sq ft) and it was around $200/sq with fairly higher end stuff.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice.... I wish we could build that inexpensively here. It's a challenge to reach $200 here. Unfortunately everything is more expensive, insurance, labor rates are higher cause cost of living is higher. The list goes on and on.

Post up some pics of the house you're planning to build.

The link you sent would easily be double what you were quoted where I am.

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
Its $400-$1000 per sqft here in Cali depending on details.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice.... I wish we could build that inexpensively here. It's a challenge to reach $200 here. Unfortunately everything is more expensive, insurance, labor rates are higher cause cost of living is higher. The list goes on and on.

Post up some pics of the house you're planning to build.

The link you sent would easily be double what you were quoted where I am.
All I have are the plans in paper form. Well I think I may have a copy via PDF. Send me your email and I'll send it over.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Rex, my buddy just built off Perkins in that new neighborhood just east of Perkins Rowe, I can't remember the name of it. His place is pretty high end and he told me his was a little over $200 sq ft. with lot. So yes $200 or so for custom should be alright but don't let him dick you over on finishes. At $200 you should have nice shit.

If you need any mortgage help, let me know. He is well established in BR and has several brokers working for him. Dude is a whiz, has serviced some seriously high end clients in BR.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rex, my buddy just built off Perkins in that new neighborhood just east of Perkins Rowe, I can't remember the name of it. His place is pretty high end and he told me his was a little over $200 sq ft. with lot. So yes $200 or so for custom should be alright but don't let him dick you over on finishes. At $200 you should have nice shit.

If you need any mortgage help, let me know. He is well established in BR and has several brokers working for him. Dude is a whiz, has serviced some seriously high end clients in BR.
How much was his lot? I don't think you can factor that in on building. I think mine is a bit higher because of concrete tile roof and real stone exterior. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I know this question is a bit broad and very vague but those that build or have built a home what is cost for following.

5k sq ft home (lower high end) cost per sq ft (not including land)
No land, "lower high end", I'd pencil 200 per foot in your sheet, and be willing depending on customization, fit and finish, to go up to 300 per foot once you're done and tally everything up.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
How much was his lot? I don't think you can factor that in on building. I think mine is a bit higher because of concrete tile roof and real stone exterior. Ugh.
Yeah, he said "the houses in here are a little over $200 foot." I'm guessing that his lot was around $100k-$125 but it is small. Houses in there are damn close together for around $1mm. I know you can't figure in the cost of the lot but I figure his was semi custom for around $180 build cost so about $200 for custom not including lot sounds right.

Where are you building? Out on the river where you are now? Seems like there are deals to be had that make building too $$$ right now. I guess it's all about getting what you want.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah I'm not real sure why anyone would want to live over there. Or in the city for that fact.. haha

Yes on River. Love it here.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
He had a place in Santa Maria and a place out on the diversion canal. When the economy started to tank he got nervous and dumped Santa Maria. Moved out on the diversion canal full time. His office (Area Home Lending) is on Perkins. Got tired of traffic and things weren't nearly as bad as he thought. Recently got married and built where he is now. Literally 2 minutes from his office.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
i know the houses my dad does range from $90-$250/ sq. ft.... He has about 4 floorplans that he uses all the time, that range from 1700-3200 sq. ft.

Our house is 11,300 sq. ft., and our cost to build was about $950 sq.ft. back in 2000

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He had a place in Santa Maria and a place out on the diversion canal. When the economy started to tank he got nervous and dumped Santa Maria. Moved out on the diversion canal full time. His office (Area Home Lending) is on Perkins. Got tired of traffic and things weren't nearly as bad as he thought. Recently got married and built where he is now. Literally 2 minutes from his office.
I had a lot in SM before I moved to River. My parents just build a house on the canal, big place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live down the street in Manchac the place right after you cross Bayou Manchac on Perkins, I know the guy who built it through another guy, he's dropped that considerably. Also in Fountain Hill its nice but the Interstate is your back yard, kinda.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I live down the street in Manchac the place right after you cross Bayou Manchac on Perkins, I know the guy who built it through another guy, he's dropped that considerably. Also in Fountain Hill its nice but the Interstate is your back yard, kinda.
Went on a drive in that area weekend b4 last. That manchac road is awesome, lots o curves. The first time I passed by fountain hill, I thought it looked really nice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i know the houses my dad does range from $90-$250/ sq. ft.... He has about 4 floorplans that he uses all the time, that range from 1700-3200 sq. ft.

Our house is 11,300 sq. ft., and our cost to build was about $950 sq.ft. back in 2000
What did your dad build the house out of? Marble and gold leaf? Thats way expensive for a builders house thats close to $11 mil.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Geeez your cost per sqft is of the charts I know it depends on the finishes but in Portland you can build a 3400sqft for less then a $100sqft and thats a pretty custom home.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've done drawings for homes at $800 and $1000 per sqft but that was the whole package including lot and highend landscaping.

(no gold necessary to hit that price)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts