Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you think the connection between a watch and a car comes from? Why do you think "wealthier" people wear expensive, sophisticated wristwatches in a time when your phone has a clock? Some interesting questions.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but there are people who are rich and buy expensive watches as a status symbol and others that truly enjoy collecting watches and love how complicated they are and all the hard work that goes into making them

·
Registered
576 Posts
Exactly. I enjoy my watches because:

1. So much work went into them. If I took them apart, I'd see engineering that would blow my mind.
2. It can be fun when someone recognizes your watch, just like they'd recognize a unique car. Even if they can't afford them yet, they're still a fellow enthusiast somehow and it's nice to talk.
3. To be honest, some of them just look really beautiful or cool.
4. I like the feel of it on my wrist.
5. To be honest, there's a small part of me that likes it when I can feel eyes on me and people seem to take me more seriously when I am wearing one of them out with my wife.

·
Registered
924 Posts

1. So much work went into them. If I took them apart, I'd see engineering that would blow my mind.
2. It can be fun when someone recognizes your watch, just like they'd recognize a unique car. Even if they can't afford them yet, they're still a fellow enthusiast somehow and it's nice to talk.
5. To be honest, there's a small part of me that likes it when I can feel eyes on me and people seem to take me more seriously when I am wearing one of them out with my wife.
100 percent with you !

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I buy expensive (relatively speaking) purely for the mechanical aspect and brand heritage. Doesn't matter to me if no one recognizes my Oris, I just love the mechinical aspect of it and they have been around for a long time so the heritage is there.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
status symbol and exclusivity. whats better than wearing a watch worth more than what all but the elite make in a month? Pretty much the biggest FU besides a verde ithica lambo

·
Registered
661 Posts

Bingo

·
Registered
278 Posts
This. Completely agreed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally wear watches because I've gotten used to the feel of them, and I like the accessibility of it. Also, when things get a bit hectic, you can always look down and appreciate the complexity of everything in the timepiece, and notice that it all works out. Life is controlled chaos, much like a good watch movement. Gotta love it!

Reactions: DBugden09

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wear watches because a lot of times its inappropriate to pull out your phone to check the time, with a watch i can casually glance down to see.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Expensive items usually transition into more expensive items. A nice timepiece has always helped me be taken more seriously, especially when younger--I see it as a part of appropriate dress. Then again, I know established guys who could care less and wear Timex. It's all in taste.

^Also, it's refreshing to see someone glance at a watch (of any kind), rather than to pull out a cell phone.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
^Also, it's refreshing to see someone glance at a watch (of any kind), rather than to pull out a cell phone.
+1 I hate when I'm talking to someone and they pull out a phone. Pretty disrespectful, at least if they glance at a watch it doesn't completely interrupt the conversation.

Reactions: LINDW4LL
1 - 14 of 14 Posts