Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Porsche-holic since the early 70s, but finally have the expendable cash (kind of) to afford one. While I've been reading and lusting after them my entire life, I find myself a little nervous about buying one now. I would like to buy one for near-daily driver to split time with my 370z convertible, but am not sure how bad the maintenance would be to do that. Also, curious about what model to purchase. I'd like to stay below 65k, but love the look of the 997 and 991 Turbos. I'd buy a 993, but don't have a Porsche dealership close enough (50 miles) to risk it. I'm also worried about a 997 for the same reason, but less worried about it. I'm curious about the Targas because my wife is a sunlover, but not sure how they perform.

So, my question is-can anyone help a brother out and give some suggestions on what to look at and what to avoid?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
$65k? 1975-1977 911 Turbo! Only logical purchase you could make with that price cap.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
For $65k, you can get an early 997.2 C2S.
I've always had eyes for that car, such a great looking design.

Also, the 9A1 DFI engines are pretty neat!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Get a 993. Bet there is an indy somewhere nearer? 50 miles is not far!

·
Registered
39 Posts
2007-08

for $65k you can get a 997 TT 2007 or 08 come over to 6speedonline.com us porsche guys list finds all the time

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I am helping a good friend find his first Porsche currently. You have a nice budget. From what you said..."near-daily", I would say the 997 is your best bet. Pretty reliable, very comfortable to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic or on twisty roads. Older 911's are nice, but you may not want to drive it daily, and their prices are pretty ridiculous right now. I think 996 are the best bargains, as long as you find one that has been well maintained and has had some well known issues corrected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I got onto 6speedonline and found a wealth of cars that fit well in that price range. I think, like several suggested, that I'm looking to buy a 997.1 or .2.

Any suggestions on what to avoid?

Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ive heard nothing but positive things from my friends that have 997s as daily drivers (one person has a PDK 2010 C4S, the other has a 2009 Carrera manual). The one issue I was told from my dealership was to be careful of 2009 cars with PDK transmissions. He said every so often there will be one that has a few issues.

Budget is great for a well rounded 997.2, good luck!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Nothing wrong with that budget for a used Porsche. As others have said you could get into a 997.1 Turbo, probably higher miles, or a solid Carrera S .2. From info I've gathered in my hunt for a P-car the newer cars are more reliable, besides the common issues. Older air cooled P-cars values have gone up considerably in the past months. Because of that I wouldn't consider one to partially daily. Maybe for your garage queen that gets driven on the nicer days. If you want to drive it more often I'd go with a 997 S model, CPO'd if possible.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've been a Porsche-holic since the early 70s, but finally have the expendable cash (kind of) to afford one. While I've been reading and lusting after them my entire life, I find myself a little nervous about buying one now. I would like to buy one for near-daily driver to split time with my 370z convertible, but am not sure how bad the maintenance would be to do that. Also, curious about what model to purchase. I'd like to stay below 65k, but love the look of the 997 and 991 Turbos. I'd buy a 993, but don't have a Porsche dealership close enough (50 miles) to risk it. I'm also worried about a 997 for the same reason, but less worried about it. I'm curious about the Targas because my wife is a sunlover, but not sure how they perform.

So, my question is-can anyone help a brother out and give some suggestions on what to look at and what to avoid?

Thanks,
Mike
Well Porsche is one of the most reliable car companies out there, so that should ease your mind a little. I would shoot for a manual 997

1 - 10 of 10 Posts