Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought of combining the normal Mclaren F1 and the Mclaren F1 GTR?

The normal F1 is without a doubt one of the most usefull supercars with holding three people and room for luggage and so on.
The Mclaren F1 GTR is certainly the most good-looking version of the editions, and has the best performance; but being just a one-seater; not very useful.

So; since Mclaren is offering F1-owners endless options of altering their cars; has anyone ever changed their GTR to a three-seater with all the comfort yet retaining the performance and looks?
Or perhaps a owner of a normal F1 upgraded his F1 to the looks and performance of a GTR?

I can't be the first one to think of this?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
so usefulness = how much shit you can cram into it rather than how well mannered it is in traffic?

I think what you are describing is a mp4 12c even tho its really tight inside and visibility is poor

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so usefulness = how much shit you can cram into it rather than how well mannered it is in traffic?
Well, it's not a stationwagon but you can use it for more than high speeds.

I think what you are describing is a mp4 12c even tho its really tight inside and visibility is poor
No it's not the same thing at all; the Mp4 12c hasn't got the lure of the F1/F1GTR, not as much storage space or three seats.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Who cares. There's 1% of people who can afford the car and I doubt they're buying it for practicality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There has been one Mclaren F1 GTR owner who had 3 seats put in his GTR, but the seat to the drivers right was for a youngster :). There are a few Mclaren F1 GTR owners whose car is now registered for the road [12 to date] but you wouldn't call any of them close to 'comfortable' as you would say of a standard road Mclaren F1 - straight-cut gearbox whine, lack of adequate ventilation, wafer-thin seats, harder and lower suspension all excite the drive but I bet would be tiresome over distances.

The F1LM is pretty close, although pretty raw in comfort terms, but luggage space is at a premium as it is based on a GTR and the GTR's 'luggage compartments' have other uses other than carrying weekend bags ;). It has 3 seats, and some of the switches normally found in the GTR's right-hand-side 'passenger' footwell are relocated to a carbon fibre panel below the dash. The LM's and GTR's mostly have headphones to make each other heard and to reduce the drivetrain and cabin noise [I assume the Brunei LM's also do, although there are hardly any pictures of them, and no pictures shown are clear enough to concur with that].

There are a few Mclaren F1 road cars that have had the HDF [high down force] kit fitted which kind-of-in-simple-terms replicates the look of a GTR whilst still retaining most of the road car comfort. Only one road car F1 had the HDF kit fitted and then removed by a future owner. One road car F1 has what is known as a partial-HDF kit added, where most of the kit is on it but for example the wheels are still standard-spec [bar the centre caps] and it doesn't have the aggressive front-end styling.

Also, depending on peoples interpretation of 'best performance' your comment may be mis-leading. Due to the restrictors the GTR engines BHP is less than that of the road car but has different gearing and more spoilers to add downforce, so it may accelerate faster but not get to the top speed of the roadcar [although some GTR owners have had the restrictors removed to 'free up' the engines power].

·
Registered
29 Posts
there are quite a few of them that are modified to suit owners taste.

this is one of my favorites, a ny car. was also nice when it was yellow.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There has been one Mclaren F1 GTR owner who had 3 seats put in his GTR, but the seat to the drivers right was for a youngster :). There are a few Mclaren F1 GTR owners whose car is now registered for the road [12 to date] but you wouldn't call any of them close to 'comfortable' as you would say of a standard road Mclaren F1 - straight-cut gearbox whine, lack of adequate ventilation, wafer-thin seats, harder and lower suspension all excite the drive but I bet would be tiresome over distances.

The F1LM is pretty close, although pretty raw in comfort terms, but luggage space is at a premium as it is based on a GTR and the GTR's 'luggage compartments' have other uses other than carrying weekend bags ;). It has 3 seats, and some of the switches normally found in the GTR's right-hand-side 'passenger' footwell are relocated to a carbon fibre panel below the dash. The LM's and GTR's mostly have headphones to make each other heard and to reduce the drivetrain and cabin noise [I assume the Brunei LM's also do, although there are hardly any pictures of them, and no pictures shown are clear enough to concur with that].

There are a few Mclaren F1 road cars that have had the HDF [high down force] kit fitted which kind-of-in-simple-terms replicates the look of a GTR whilst still retaining most of the road car comfort. Only one road car F1 had the HDF kit fitted and then removed by a future owner. One road car F1 has what is known as a partial-HDF kit added, where most of the kit is on it but for example the wheels are still standard-spec [bar the centre caps] and it doesn't have the aggressive front-end styling.

Also, depending on peoples interpretation of 'best performance' your comment may be mis-leading. Due to the restrictors the GTR engines BHP is less than that of the road car but has different gearing and more spoilers to add downforce, so it may accelerate faster but not get to the top speed of the roadcar [although some GTR owners have had the restrictors removed to 'free up' the engines power].
Great answer; thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's also the F1 which I believe is still in Tampa, painted pearl orange with the aerodynamics kit. Anyone know anything further about it? I know it was part of a certain owners collection here at least as of last spring?

·
Registered
545 Posts
There's also the F1 which I believe is still in Tampa, painted pearl orange with the aerodynamics kit. Anyone know anything further about it? I know it was part of a certain owners collection here at least as of last spring?
That's F1 #073. Fitted with the GTR high down force kit, special wheels, and GTR motor putting out 690hp. If I could choose any F1 I'd have that one, arguably the most special next to the long tail road cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's F1 #073. Fitted with the GTR high down force kit, special wheels, and GTR motor putting out 690hp. If I could choose any F1 I'd have that one, arguably the most special next to the long tail road cars.

That's the one... I've wanted that car since I first saw it on the cover of DuPont Registry years ago... it's just perfect.

I moved here a few months ago, and I'm trying to work all of the car connections I've made down here to meet the owner, his collection is second to none in the area!

·
Registered
19 Posts

690hp! talk about power to weight ratio. Looks like volcano orange ;0)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't know the LM was basically what I asked for. I suppose some soundproofing is all that is needed. And perhaps the passanger seats from the original F1.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I didn't know the LM was basically what I asked for. I suppose some soundproofing is all that is needed. And perhaps the passanger seats from the original F1.
Well, it is not in the sense "useful" like the normal F1 is. The LM is the track version to end all track versions, essentially a GTR that's been modified to use on the road. There are many more things you'd need than soundproofing to make it bearable to drive on the road. For all the work you'd have to do you might as well get a regular F1 with the down force kit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts