Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am running to Vegas on my way to San Diego, leaving the first dry day after Dec 25th. I am aiming for it to be a 20 hour drive (google is claiming 30 hour), so I need to average around 95mph. After doing a few cross country road rallies, that shouldn't be too big of an issue. :headbang:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...368870165540281.000497161288a01b8038c&t=h&z=5

Now here's the kicker, the quickest route is the 80 to the 70, through the mountains. Which wouldn't be an issue in most vehicles. Unfortunately I am going to be in the Viper. :crazy:

I can drive it in snow, but it can't be deep or it needs to be ruts so that I can bounce the car between them and stay on the highway. :faint2:

I need some help in regards to the current weather on the 70 around the 26th or 27th of December. So that I can bail south or speed up, depending on the weather.

Anybody down to help?

Nick

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I can keep an eye on things while your out this way. I will tell you this, I-70 sucks from Idaho Springs to Grand Junction this time of year. Its not just because of the snow, but because they use cinders and dirt to add traction. If you don't have a clear bra its literally suicide.

That being said, if it hasnt snowed for 36 hours, the roads should be pretty clear below 9,500 feet. If its windy, it might as well be snowing. Above 9500 feet (near the Eisenhower tunnel, Vail pass) is always a question mark.

Check out Cotrip.org for road conditions and travel speeds.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Good, it will be put to good use. If it snows at all, you will absolutely need snow tires.

I'd personally stay south, and take the sure thing of I-25 to I-40 in Santa Fe. Just did the 40 drive back from the Grand Canyon and it was a pretty awesome drive. I-70 is more beautiful, but I'd rather get there and come back to drive it during goldRush ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good, it will be put to good use. If it snows at all, you will absolutely need snow tires.

I'd personally stay south, and take the sure thing of I-25 to I-40 in Santa Fe. Just did the 40 drive back from the Grand Canyon and it was a pretty awesome drive. I-70 is more beautiful, but I'd rather get there and come back to drive it during goldRush ;)
25 and 40 cross in Albuquerque not SF

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The I-25/40 route is my back up. But I would prefer to go through Colorado, just if there is a lot of snow, I have to avoid it at all costs.

Nick

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Vail pass and Eisenhower tunnel are closed as I type. You should keep an eye on the weather the 24th and 25th to make your decision. Anything earlier than that and I wouldn't trust a forecast.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's why I want to have some contact with people in the area. So while I'm en route I can get updates on how the area is. We all know how quickly weather can change from the forecast.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts