Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in 2001 I bought a new F4i and put 21,000 miles on it fairly quickly..I did 3 track days on it and then lost a very close friend of mine on the street due to a little old lady.. The bike sat in storage for the next 8 years.

I pulled it out the other day, put a battery in and it fired up.. I still dont have much interest in putting it back to street form and riding it, but I am considering putting it on the track this spring..

Is there anyone on L4P thats a licensed road-racer? I guess the CMRA rules have changed since I got out of it and I have to get a license now to compete, which is fine because that was one of my biggest complaints back when I did track days. I hated how they threw everyone on the track and wished them the best!

Im thinking the February class at College Station would be a good way to decide if Im ready to put the past behind and get back onto some pavement. Still no interest in street riding, track only..

Anyone out there racing currently?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
surprised no one piped up yet.

good to hear you jumping back on 2 wheels!

i havent done track yet, but i have a ton of friends who have and are knowledgeable, but i dont believe licensed out here. if you have questions i can pass them along.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I raced both cmra and wera (held all the licenses and raced as an expert)
I am not racing currently but what class are you looking to enter?
will you be racing with the f4i or do you have something else in mind?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was wanting to run the F4i since I already have it and have quite a bit of cash in the suspension..

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
i was wanting to run the F4i since I already have it and have quite a bit of cash in the suspension..
what all do you have in the suspension (and the bike) so i know if you will be running ss or sb or any other class.

do you have race bodywork for it yet?
is your bike safety wired already or no?

have you read the 2010 rulebook yet?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, its fully safety wired and has the sharkwerkz glass body kit on it.. Ive not got a chance to read the rulebook yet, I did download it on PDF though.. I think the lonestar trackdays program is going to be my first time back out on the track. That way I can get the CMRA license and have 2 full days of riding.. Hallet is practically in my backyard and they have some events there this year I believe..

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
sharkskinz? sharkwerks is porsche lol.

what suspension do you have and what else is done?

you might be an inbetweener...because you are giving up a lot of hp to the newer bikes. also the f4i swinger is based of a mx dirtbike so it flexes a lot..but the frame is a one piece so it is stout but heavy. and you cant race in the classic cause its not a 97 or older. but that also depends on how competitive you want to be. cmra is no joke.

I held the track record for hallett on a r6 for about a year back in the day...thats before ty howard came and destroyed every cmra record.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive done the Gold Rush at Hallet and a handful of track days there. I have an ohlins rear shock and rebuilt fronts. I have the paperwork on it, But I cant remember offhand what all we did. It was years ago. I want to say it has a 954 front clamps and forks that were revalved but it may have been from a 929.

And yes, it was sharkskinz, not werkz.. lol, too much time on L4p!

The good thing about doing the lonestar track days is that I can ride as many times as I want without having to race, until Im ready. I may get back on the track and remember why I quit so many years back!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Ive done the Gold Rush at Hallet and a handful of track days there. I have an ohlins rear shock and rebuilt fronts. I have the paperwork on it, But I cant remember offhand what all we did. It was years ago. I want to say it has a 954 front clamps and forks that were revalved but it may have been from a 929.

And yes, it was sharkskinz, not werkz.. lol, too much time on L4p!

The good thing about doing the lonestar track days is that I can ride as many times as I want without having to race, until Im ready. I may get back on the track and remember why I quit so many years back!
i would guess its a 900 front end..cause a 929 and 954 is a usd front end that does not fit in a f4i without major work.
but the fact that you have a different front end automatically puts you in superbike and you will have to race some monsters. also look at the paperwork to see what size springs they put in cause you want it sprung exactly for your weight.

do some trackdays..and if you ever wanna do a lonestar or ridesmart at texas world (in college station) let me know..i will do it with you.

and i doubt you will want to quit...they call it "Crack" days for a reason....its the most fun with a motor anyone can have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like you, I don't ride the street anymore. I do run 6-8 track days a year and it is a blast. I started doing track days about 4 years so, I don't know what they were like 8 years ago. I run Sportbike Track Time mostly but, I have ridden with NESBA once. I can tell you that currently, they are well organized and about as safe as you can be in that environment. I am not sure if those organizations run in your area but, check out their sites for more info.

Have fun and ride safe,
Brian

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RideSmart has a really good program. I signed up for their mailing lists and been browsing their sites. Ill PM you when I know Im coming down.!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
RideSmart has a really good program. I signed up for their mailing lists and been browsing their sites. Ill PM you when I know Im coming down.!
good deal.
let me know.
if you get serious and wanna really play..come down south texas.
I am a premium member to MSR and can bring guests with me.
and i gota buncha racebikes that are fun to ride...just dont drop em :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
in 2001 I bought a new F4i and put 21,000 miles on it fairly quickly..I did 3 track days on it and then lost a very close friend of mine on the street due to a little old lady.. The bike sat in storage for the next 8 years.

I pulled it out the other day, put a battery in and it fired up.. I still dont have much interest in putting it back to street form and riding it, but I am considering putting it on the track this spring..

Is there anyone on L4P thats a licensed road-racer? I guess the CMRA rules have changed since I got out of it and I have to get a license now to compete, which is fine because that was one of my biggest complaints back when I did track days. I hated how they threw everyone on the track and wished them the best!

Im thinking the February class at College Station would be a good way to decide if Im ready to put the past behind and get back onto some pavement. Still no interest in street riding, track only..

Anyone out there racing currently?
Yep I race. I should say I did race, I havent in a couple of years, but did for many years. I still instruct for a trackday school.

track days are a long way from racing... I'd say start with a years worth of track days before you dive in with the ax murderers at the races. Racing is very intense and you dont get to "work" on things like you do at the trackday. That being said you learn TONS every race, but if you have tons to learn it can hurt you in the long run.

This is just a cautionary tale... I dont know your level of riding experience or level of ability, but I'd suggest you get more than 3 trackdays under your belt before you start racing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts