Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So--yes--I suffered a little damage during snowmagedon last week. In three days I rescued my wife who was stranded at work, rescued two families that were stranded at a local church, and delivered groceries to several stranded families in my community. TWICE I had to dodge guys that tried to climb a steep hill only to come spinning out of control back down the hill towards me. Trucked right by them up the hill while people watched in astonishment. As I got to the top of yet another hill there were so many stranded cars that were in the way I had nowhere else to go and lost momentum. Slid in slow motion back down the hill into another car, which resulted in minor damage. So, here we are.

With nearly every shop in town on backlog I took a leap of faith and researched a high end collision repair center. But this isn't your father's auto body shop. This place is not only far, far off the beaten path the driveway leading to the shop is over 400 yards long--Completely secluded. No signage, no typical loud body shop sounds, no auto accessory or machinery decals. Even upon driving through the front area of this place I'm scratching my head. UNDER 24 HOUR SURVEILLANCE signs everywhere, and closed garage doors--No sign of life anywhere. Just as I'm about to leave one of the garage doors opens and a guy directs me to the office.

Information is exchanged, the owner assures me they'll give the car a complete shakedown, Enterprise picks me up and I'm gone. I come back today to see what's up and they've stripped my car almost to the bone (as seen above). They're weren't joking. These guys almost completely tore down my car just for minor damage. Now, mind you, I'm used to seeing auto body guys simply mask off door handles and other unimportant areas and keep it moving. One of the detail guys offered to give me a tour of the facilities and I was left speechless. See for yourself at Classic Car Motoring.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I love those hidden "Gems"..

It sounds like God tested your patience during that storm, and you took the challenge head on. Good to see there are still genuine folks out there! I have run into too many bad apples, so this is a fresh of breath air..

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, on the day that new episodes of Top Gear airs on BBC America, the bad news is my FX45 has been totaled out by my insurance company. The good news is I have gap insurance. :clap:

The recent turnout of events has all been bitter sweet. Now I won't get a chance to see my Infiniti get the royal treatment from Classic Car Motoring. Though, I'll tell you this, Walking through their facility was like being in an episode of Wheeler Dealers/Chasing Classic Cars/West Coast Customs.

My next challenge: I'm tempted to purchase another FX45. The thing corners like a slot car and belches out throaty exhaust notes no matter what speed you're traveling. The only drawbacks are small trunk space and rear leg room. So, I'm reverting back to original list of options: A BMW X5, Range Rover Sport, and a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Yes, I know. I've shitted all over German cars. Here's my point, though: There are plenty of choices to choose from as far as sedans and coupes but in 4X4 SUV land there's only a small number.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So, after 24 hours of combing the internet I've made my choice. I tried--I really tried--But the closest FX45 was over 300 miles away in Kentucky, and it was already sold. Others were 1500 miles or further away. I'm happy with my purchase. Guess I have to go over to my dad's garage and borrow his metric set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts