Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this posted and was thought guys who own these cars might want to know. It seems a law firm is initiating a class action suit against BMW due to defects the N54 suffers from such as the notorious HPFP. Some guys have complained so if you have one of these cars you might want to check out the details on the law suit: Class action suit alleges BMW n54-turbo-engine unsafe causes unintended acceleration

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
sooo, it has the exact same problems the VW has... might have to go after VW too

·
Registered
3,754 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
well I have FSI on the VW... The problem is the HPFP has a cam follower that wears too fast and can cause damage to the intake cam. Also, the car takes a while to get fuel into the engine so startups take a few turn overs. The worst thing is that since the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder the valves never get sprayed with fuel causing a crazy amount of carbon build-up that is rock hard. Solvents won't break it down, so i had to take the manifold off and scrub manually for hours...

It is awesome, its just not ready for long term use yet. either that or the manufacturers need to do more preventative maintenance for the cars. IE: check cam followers, and clean valves. that would be expensive for the buyer though and throw my $30k VW having a $2,000 40,000 mile service.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
its not that... Its Direct Port FTL...

Direct port is the worst thing you could put on a street car IMO...
I just meant that there seems to be alot more complications with Forced Induction motors, so I generally prefer Naturally Aspirated.

I hope this all gets fixed though because the 335 is an awesome car nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My gf has a 128 and had her HPFP go out at 7k miles. They replaced it free of charge but there were a lot of headaches and a month wait to get her car back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts