Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set in the picturesque grounds of Cholmondeley (pronounced 'chumley') Castle in Cheshire, North West England, the Pageant of Power is an annual festival of cars, bikes and planes taking place over a three-day weekend. Usually it just rains, but this year we had some lovely sunny weather for the first two days, which helped bring people out.

Hawker Hunter "Miss Demeanour" provided some nice noises

"Old Buckers" (careful...) display team entertained on Saturday

Action in the air wasn't limited to planes, with a competition judged by marshals assessing who did the most impressive jump off the bridge at the end of the track, among other things.

The 911 Turbo S was impressive

As was the Ariel Atom

The Napier Bentley was impressive off the line

And the quattro wasn't bothered by the small amount of rain on Sunday

Some bikes were there too (sorry, I know nothing about bikes)

And the classic scramblers were having a good time too.

Lovely Ferrari as well

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Nice pics, I like that jump setup. Cool old "scramblers" too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a really nice show, set in the grounds of a local castle / stately home.

Most of this kind of event are held a lot further south, and although the overall distances here in the UK are a lot smaller than in many other countries, it does make a difference. So it's about 15 miles from where I live, but if I went down to Goodwood for the Revival or Festival of Speed events, they're much bigger but 300+ miles away. The Goodwood shows are much bigger, but I've heard they're a lot less involved - for example I was told you can't walk around the paddock at Goodwood, but at this event you can just wander around all day. Every so often a car will be run up to warm it up, and you can literally be right next to it. The owner of these big-engined cars often puts on a nice fire show in the paddock, which has the marshals running in with fire extinguishers 'just in case'.

Apparently this Nissan is one of only four made by Nismo, and it's the only one in private ownership. I don't know much about modern Japanese stuff, but when they warmed it up in the paddock, it was ear-splitting. In a good way, of course.

And there's a bit of a family feel about it - two of the pre-war Bentley owners had brought smaller versions as paddock transport.

Doesn't always go to plan though - the Napier-Bentley took a wrong line through the chicane on Friday, even though it's only made of straw bales, they're still quite solid when you hit them.

Scramblers were quite colourful, I think this is the classic sidecars waiting to go on the circuit, with the castle itself in the background.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts