Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who's interested in picking up a used Cayman. All things considered are there better years, or definite years to avoid? With Lamborghini the company made substantial modifications to the 06 gallardo that makes it a much stronger buy. Curious if there are similar concerns with the Cayman.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
06-08 first gen
09-11 second gen

no major changes that "fixed things" that i know of. Obv the DFI motor in 09 and the choice of adding PDK if you wish. Slightly revised exterior (LEDs, DRLs, etc) but otherwise the cars are pretty similar.

I would just look for the lowest mile car you can afford with the options you want. get a CPO car and buy with confidence :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome... thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
The DFI car does address some oiling issues present in the 1st gen cars. this is especially important if he has plans to track the car at all.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I would avoid the new one... i don't trust DFI, i have it in my car and it is the root of all problems

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I would avoid the new one... i don't trust DFI, i have it in my car and it is the root of all problems
Ive seen many cars with well over 75 RACE hours on a stock motor, and theyre fine. The DFI motor is WORLDS better than the old motor.

What problems are you having that are a result of DFI?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
i've not heard any issues with the dfi engine.

more power, better mpg, a lil revised body. i would however say wait a couple years as porsche is starting their new gen cars...que the cheyenne

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Ive seen many cars with well over 75 RACE hours on a stock motor, and theyre fine. The DFI motor is WORLDS better than the old motor.

I believe he's talking about the carbon build up. known in the Audi's/VW..

·
Registered
3,754 Posts

yeah, it is the carbon build up... since gas isn't sprayed on the valves, they never get cleaned. you can't even put a treatment in to clean it. i had to take the intake manifold off of my car and manually scrub with a brush and solvent. I did this at 50,000 miles and i had a crazy amount of buildup...

also, the High pressure fuel pump has a cam follower that wears too quickly and can damage the camshaft. i knew about htis and frequently check mine. Mine lasted 75,000 miles, but people have had catastrophic damage at 20,000.

Its all long term problems...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
throttle body cleaner...throttle body or bodies are prior to intake valves. uses mostly the same stuff foud in fuel injector cleaner

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
throttle body cleaner...throttle body or bodies are prior to intake valves. uses mostly the same stuff foud in fuel injector cleaner
that doesn't even cut this carbon... its rock hard... i put carb cleaner on it, and it just ran off. i had to use a hard bristle brush and carb cleaner...

i will probably clean them again in a few weeks, and ill post some pics of the deposits. if anyone knows an easier way let me know. i havent checked VWvortex in a while, but i know that they hadn't found anything yet

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
09+ has bigger motor, lsd as an option, pdk as option and various other things as well as some exterior and interior updates... but as Pearlcoupe said, buy the newest one you can afford

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 06 has a bump noise in the rear hatch that was recalled, most cars should have had that done already. If you are going to Mod the car skip out on PASM. The Cayman is a killer fun car, I had an S for about a year and drove the piss out of it with 0 issues. Just have it inpsected and if possible get a CPO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts