Best handlling?

• Cayman

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • any 911

Votes: 35 63.6%

Cayman or 911

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  carendt242 
#1 ·
Had a little argue with a friend. Which car do you guys drives best, in the way of the car with the best handling

#4 · (Edited)
Both of you are right.
The 911 is the better car. Period.
The cayman is a gap filler. It was just built to fill the gap between the boxter and the 911. That means it wasnt built as good as it could have been but just as good as it needed to be. Thats what gave it that poor image and what made it affordable to people not being able to afford the 911. If you want to know how good the concept of the cayman is, look at the CGT. Thats basically a cayman done right. Sounds funny, I know, but think about it.

So again it depends on what you want/need. You can for example beef up the cayman and run circles around 911s. If its not power and performance you're after, buy the cayman (The S is recommended tho).

#7 ·
I kind of like the looks of the Cayman. I was messing around one day, and test drove one to waste some time, and i was surprised. It is a very nice car, and seems pretty easy to live with everyday...

I wouldn't buy one new though... Used you can snag one easily in the 30k range...

#15 ·
exactly. the 911 is the true driver's car IMO. with the engine way out in back of the car, you need to know how to drive the car or you can easily lose the back end. i hear you really need to turn in slow, and accelerate out of the corners quickly thanks to the natural traction of a 911 since the weight is over the rear wheels.

as for the cayman, it has a lot of potential since it is or is close to a 50/50 weight distribution which is what handling is all about.

I have driven neither, but would imagine the cayman is much easier to toss around with ease while the 911 has true culture and charm for its unique driving experience, and the concentration it demands from the driver. I like to think of myself as a driver, and would choose the 911 to learn and eventually master its handling characteristics.

#13 ·
For the weekend road course warrior, Cayman (better be an S model tho) all the way. Mid engine= better balance. And since bumped the hp up the Cayman S has really come alive.

#16 ·
I have owned/driven both. The Cayman is easier to drive for the inexperienced driver. 911 is more rewarding once you get the hang of it.

#20 ·
I also had a 911 and went to a Cayman S.

Other than a GT3, I don't believe I will own another 911—the feel from the driver's seat is completely different IMO. Cayman feels much more involving, better balanced, and tighter.

There is absolutely no debate about power though. I haven't driven the newer generation, but my 3.4 does not have the grunt that my 911 did. For those that crave power and speed, the 911 might suit your needs better. For me, all factors included, the Cayman is much more fun than the Carrera is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.