Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden no sound at all in my system. Car is running works fine, shut car down and come back later, no sound.

Unit is a pioneer avic F90BT and seems to be working fine otherwise. Amp is an alpine PDX5 running all 5 channels. Amp is on and all lit up. Any ideas??

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
did the mute cable short out by chance?

also, what audio source are you using?

have you tried ipod, cd, radio?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just dead, no sound from all sources. any way I can check just the amp? or just the unit?
what's a mute cable?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i plugged a mini headphone to rca from my iphone into one of the amp rca imputs to see if I got at least some sound, a pop hum or something got nothin

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i looked at the pin out. doesnt appear you have one. but its a cable that you can wire to a switch, that will mute the audio.

You can get an ipod with a 3.5mm to rca and plug it right into the amp to test it. i would fiddle with the plugs in the back. make sure they are fully plugged in. have you also checked the settings to make sure that the output is set right?

·
Registered
315 Posts
sounds like either the amp has blown or a speaker cable is touching metal somewhere causing a short! the easiest way to find out if its a short is to disconnect 1 speaker at a time but make sure to do it while the unit is switched off. If you have a multi meter then you can also check each speaker! normally the amp will go into protection mode if this happens and you will have a warning lamp on the amplifier itself.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that!s what i did. 3.5 headphone into 2 rca's going into amp inputs. i figure i would at least get some sort of sound. got nothin. amp is lit up like it is working. everything has been running great for almost 2 yrs.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
then either the amp is dead, or maybe in protection mode.

or like said above, you have a short

·
Registered
315 Posts
What colour is the square indicator light showing? solid or flashing aswell...
Blue is Normal
Red is Protection mode - caused by voltage drain,dead short on a cable or it's got too hot.
Flashing Red is High Temp cut out.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it never showed anything but blue but I found one of the sub wires where it goes into the amp connector was loose. i tightened all of the allen screws on the speaker plugs on the amp also. started it back up, works fine right now. thanks for all the help guys. at least i know its somewhere in the amp or amp connections if it happens again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
it's always something simple.. i've been in the car audio trade for 17 years and 9 times out of 10 it's a short or an earth problem with anything.. that or bad installs... lol
I'm glad it's up and running again....

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
i agree. or i find they have it set wrong, or the settings reset on the HU.

But my favorite is bad grounds done by shitty installs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts