Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a new lens and love car photography.

I was thinking the 17-40mm L lens but wanted to hear what others thought would be a good lens in the $600-700 range.

i am currently using a 28-135mm lens

any info is well appreciated

thanks

Nico

·
Registered
288 Posts
I picked up a Canon 50mm/1.4 Prime and LOVE it. Was right around 550 shipped. Its great for heavy bokeh when you need it, and when your shooting in crazy low-light and need no flash.

In the end it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Here is a shot with it:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
chazzz.... what are you doing on my forum man???

btw... i got haz a camera and i needz your advice on some stuff too... and i need to pick out a picture for my posters too. your leaving tomorrow right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am looking into buying a new lens and love car photography.

I was thinking the 17-40mm L lens but wanted to hear what others thought would be a good lens in the $600-700 range.

i am currently using a 28-135mm lens

any info is well appreciated

thanks

Nico
I've got the 17-55 2.8 Is EFS Canon and you can get one of those in the ballpark used. The 17-40 is a sweet lens but I find myself still wanting more wide angle for shooting cars.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the 17-55 2.8 Is EFS Canon and you can get one of those in the ballpark used. The 17-40 is a sweet lens but I find myself still wanting more wide angle for shooting cars.
thanks...i will have to check that out...i currently also use a 10-22mm wide angle also.

Do you have any pics of cars using the 17-55mm ?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you are talented and you have full frame you can get artsy shots with it- can get angles never seen/realized before.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I also think that you'll find the 17-40 not wide enough for shooting cars. I'd get a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or a Tokina 12-24 f/4 to compliment your current lens.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It all depends what kind of camera you are using. On a crop sensor the 17-40 won't perform nearly the way it was designed. If you're looking for super wide....try the 14mm.

But most L series lenses won't create the same image quality on crop sensor cameras as they do on full frame.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It all depends what kind of camera you are using. On a crop sensor the 17-40 won't perform nearly the way it was designed. If you're looking for super wide....try the 14mm.

But most L series lenses won't create the same image quality on crop sensor cameras as they do on full frame.
Why not ? The only difference is that a crop sensor only sees the middle of the image. If anything the quality will be better as the middle of the image will be free from barrel distortion.

Take an image on FF, and crop it in photoshop, thats what a crop sensor sees.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I disagree. I felt I could get equally solid images with the 17-40L using my 20D and 5D

20D

5D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Take an image on FF, and crop it in photoshop, thats what a crop sensor sees.
That's not really true. For example, I have a Canon 15mm Fisheye. On my old crop-frame 40D, the images were just super-wide with no "fishbowl" effect at all. Technically on that camera it was really creating the effect of a 24mm becauase of the 1.6 magnification factor. On my 5D that same lens is very obviously Fisheye. Not only does it get MUCH wider, but the distortion and "bowl" effect in the center of the image is really obvious too. Although the difference isn'y quite that apparent with other lenses, it's still there.

I disagree. I felt I could get equally solid images with the 17-40L using my 20D and 5D
I definitely agree. The lens is capable of awesome images, I didn't mean to make it sound like it's not. I'm just saying that from my experience once I moved to a FF camera, It was like learning to use all my lenses all over again for different effects and angles. I even have a couple lenses that I really don't even use anymore on my 5D, but thought I couldn't live without on my 40D. My 16-35 f2.8 for example. I couldn't live without it on the 40D, it was my daily walkaround lens. On the 5D I find it to be just too wide, and not nearly as versatile. The 24-70 has taken over it's duties.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
once I moved to a FF camera, It was like learning to use all my lenses all over again for different effects and angles.
I 100% agree with this :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
The 17-40 is a great lens for Automotive photography. I use it in all my stuff...

And many other automotive photographers use this lens.

Works great on a crop. If you need wider your 10-20 will be great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts