Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link to any legit car cover tests? I am wondering how much heat protection car covers provide in general, and really more important comparison studies of some top brands and cover types. I found one place that posted results of their own covers, but who knows how legit that is. You know, even Myth Busters, or any somewhat scientific independent studies may be be at least something to look at. I have 2 SL MBZ I suppose I could put side by side in the driveway just to compare temps one with cover and one without for a basic test.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still couldn't find any independent study testing whether car covers work in any way as opposed to no cover at all, or any comparison of material types. But I did have four different type of swatches from Coverking, so I taped them side by side over a long sheet of metal and put that in the sun. I have no heat gun, but did find that when lifting up each swatch and touching the metal underneath, each of the metal areas under the swatches was much cooler than without any cover. But just touching by hand, I could not tell which cover did the best in keeping the heat down. Heat gun probably could detect some difference I suppose. I suppose you could say "duh", of course any cover would be cooler, but I wasn't sure if even that would be true. I suppose I could get three cheap thermometers and stick em under the swatches too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The issue I have with car covers is the fact that no matter what material or quality you purchase, a car cover is going to scuff your paint at the contact points (material seams, roof & fender edges). Not much you can do because the damage is done whenever the wind buffets your cover. But if your intent is just to protect your interior, just about any quality cover will do the trick. Have you checked out California Car Cover's web site?

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
im trying the rainX one right now.

we shall see

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue I have with car covers is the fact that no matter what material or quality you purchase, a car cover is going to scuff your paint at the contact points (material seams, roof & fender edges). Not much you can do because the damage is done whenever the wind buffets your cover. But if your intent is just to protect your interior, just about any quality cover will do the trick. Have you checked out California Car Cover's web site?
My mainstay has been Coverking Stormproof, very tight cover with excellent sun and rain protection. I also did some grommets and hook front and rear with bungee under the car to keep it real secure. Used that brand cover for years and no scratches or rub marks on any cars. Maybe just another myth about scuffing, unless I can see some test...Myth Busters test?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts