Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like this watch but i would prefer to order it with steel case. i see no point in white gold when steel looks identical.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree but Rolex does not. You can customize but only on watches they allow and it must be in their order books. Now diamonds are a different story. Btw don't let some hack jeweler tamper with a Rolex because if you ever send it in for service Rolex won't work on it until the watch is back to stock factory at your expense . I want a SS daytona with a meteorite dial factory but no can do.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
They turn out nearly 800,000 Rolex a year. Highly doubt they would customize one for anybody. If you can afford it, I would get the white gold. Stunning watch, if you can find one.:)

·
10,594 Posts
In the 80's I purchsed the first generation Tag Heuer SEL. They allowed me to chose the dial color (like 30 diff shades), case finish, bracelet or strap, bracelet finish and movement (quartz or auto) all that for a $1400 msrp watch. It is my opinion that smart companies will gravitate to more selectable options by the consumer. Why can't things be like burger king? Especially at the prices of like a Rolex or an AP.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
In the 80's I purchsed the first generation Tag Heuer SEL. They allowed me to chose the dial color (like 30 diff shades), case finish, bracelet or strap, bracelet finish and movement (quartz or auto) all that for a $1400 msrp watch. It is my opinion that smart companies will gravitate to more selectable options by the consumer. Why can't things be like burger king? Especially at the prices of like a Rolex or an AP.
I agree. If you order a piece, you should be able to customize it, to an extent.

For example, the black faced Daytona. It only comes with black hands, which are hard as hell to see. If you could get it with red hands, it would be sick. People get their done, but it's a custom job. Not by the manufacturer, and it voids the manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree. If you order a piece, you should be able to customize it, to an extent.

For example, the black faced Daytona. It only comes with black hands, which are hard as hell to see. If you could get it with red hands, it would be sick. People get their done, but it's a custom job. Not by the manufacturer, and it voids the manufacturers warranty.

I am with you on this. I am trying to figure out what my next purchase will be. Have many thoughts that I have shared, but want something with a little personal touch as well.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
the difference in weight of a steel rolex and a gold rolex is night and day. the steel rolexes almost feel "fake." my next rolex is for sure going to be gold. my cousin just bought a white gold daytona and it feels so much better than my father's steel daytona.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
the difference in weight of a steel rolex and a gold rolex is night and day. the steel rolexes almost feel "fake." my next rolex is for sure going to be gold. my cousin just bought a white gold daytona and it feels so much better than my father's steel daytona.
totally agreed!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Ever seen one of those early Air King with a Dominos Pizza logo on the dial??:lol::lol:

Rolex did offer great variety of customization in the early days. Not so much now though. If you just want different dials, you might have to source them from the 2ndary market. Rolex doesn't swap dials in its factory because that would influence ref#. Or, you could wait...as I do see some dials, which were offered on precious models in the past, are available on SS models now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
one weird thing about buying Daytonas is that the steel ones hold their value were as the gold ones do not. Stainless steel Daytonas sell over retail at a premium whereas the gold ones I can sell for 27% to 30% off from the retail.

We just sold a Paul Newman vintage stainless steel Daytona for 75K. Original msrp was probably only 900 bucks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts