Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN ONE LOOK TOO SUCCESSFUL? (for those of you that are still in the work force)
Where is the breaking point?

There are different schools of thought on hiring by appearance. When people are searching for a person to provide a service or product many look for someone that looks "a little hungry" or not like they have "extra resources". I believe the reason for this is they feel they will get a better deal or perhaps that person is just cheaper. Whereas others look for a successful person because "they must know what they are doing".
Assuming you are of the later thought process, can a person look too successful?
Where is that line?
Is it when they appear to be doing better than you or just appear to be doing a little better than most in their profession.
EXAMPLE: If your kitchen cabinet contractor rolled up in a Range Rover Sport Supercharged, would it be an issue?
(even if his price was fair and his work great)
That's assuming most other kitchen cabinet contractors in your area drive white pick-up trucks or white vans.

Please elaborate.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Depending what industry your in I believe you need to play (look) the part. I believe looking too poor means your not making it. Too flashy and your flaunting it. A middle ground is best most of the time but it must fit. For example I wouldn't want to hire a personal trainer or financial adviser that looked like they hadn't made it it or at least haven't made pass were I have.

·
Registered
504 Posts
A couple side questions.

Do you mean do you as an employee look to successful? Like Show up at a job interview driving a $100,000 car for a $50,000 a year job.

Or are asking more about business? Like the contractor thing? or examples like

If you show up to have some mods done to your car do you want to see a nice shop with the right equipment even if it is empty? Or some guy working out of an old gas station with a couple cars like yours around?

I think on the business thing people want to do business with the best looking business and will pay more and feel better about the service they will get because they figure you are successful at it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, absolutely. I either got respect for my skillset or dismissed like they were daddys toys or drug dealer.
I don't think a rover is too much for that industry, but then again most people in it drive 5-15yr old f150s....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple side questions.

Do you mean do you as an employee look to successful? Like Show up at a job interview driving a $100,000 car for a $50,000 a year job.

Or are asking more about business? Like the contractor thing? or examples like

If you show up to have some mods done to your car do you want to see a nice shop with the right equipment even if it is empty? Or some guy working out of an old gas station with a couple cars like yours around?

I think on the business thing people want to do business with the best looking business and will pay more and feel better about the service they will get because they figure you are successful at it.
Yes, I'm talking about hiring someone as a "contractor/service provider" not hiring a new employee.
I like to go to a clean professional shop (for getting work done on my autos, or the like).
I like to hire a plumber who does not smell like an ashtray and drives a clean truck that does not have dents in the side.

BUT I have heard some say
"Customers want you to do well, but not better than them."
Is that true for you? I know it is true for some, but are they the majority?

If I was asking for financial advice from someone - he better be doing better than me, or he is not worth listening to.
I'm not referring to that situation.

I asked a customer today that is MANY MANY times more successful than me and he said that thought does not enter into his decision making for hiring.
He said "I figure if you have worked hard for yourself, you should be able to drive whatever you want and can afford."

Please offer your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I asked a customer today that is MANY MANY times more successful than me and he said that thought does not enter into his decision making for hiring.
He said "I figure if you have worked hard for yourself, you should be able to drive whatever you want and can afford."
There is your answer IMO.

I was visiting a customer of ours not too long ago and we were eating at the hotel. When we went out to the valet there was a Bentley there and he asked me "would you think I was making too much margin if I drove a Bentley" and I simply said "Hell no, I want you to kill it out there", bottom line is if your customer likes you, they'll buy from you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.