Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello L4P members,

I have a feeling this is true due to my recent experiences...

Do you think the watch you are wearing can or will deter someone from doing business with you?

(I work in sales and I have NOT been wearing any of my watches lately. I have noticed the events of the transaction have been much better)

I don't wear my 2 other watches much but I do wear my Breitling Super Ocean almost everyday at work.

I have another broker in the office that wears a 18K brand new Yachtmaster 2 and he went out and bought a everyday beater Rolex because at the boat show, people were surprised he could afford something like that.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't like to wear watches even if they are expensive most of my watches i got them as a gift and they are laying in my locker for years, as long as you dress classy it doesn't matter.

Reactions: NstoutBMW

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
In sales, I'd say it's best to be modest. If everyone or 90% of your clients are "wealthy" then it's apropos to have an all gold Yachtmaster.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In sales, I'd say it's best to be modest. If everyone or 90% of your clients are "wealthy" then it's apropos to have an all gold Yachtmaster.
You would think this but the last thing that they want to do is give you their hard earned $$$. I have figured out that the majority of the clients correlate the watch with the money you are making. Its funny cus they are all different but I have to say most of they do not like to hand over any of their money. Its also their view on taxes.. They want to pay the least amount they can. Lol

Hmm never though of that. On the inverse, if I were going to buy something and the sales person was wearing a nice watch, I don't think it would bother me.
^^^ I agree.. I wore mine because I thought they were a work of art and a reflection of me. I wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced anything like this..

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a fine line....being in construction people don't expect to see a nice watch or car or anything lol....You would think that people would want a successful (whatever your profession is) NOT THE CASE!!!! Sad!!!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Friend of mine wore an IWC Portuguese to work for 6 years. I was the first person who noticed. If the watch is subtle I'd say your fine. If your wearing a Breitling Bentley or an IWC BP...or something dipped in diamonds you deserve what you get. Be classy and I think you're fine.

And to the statement about "dressing classy and it doesn't matter"...i disagree. I believe without a watch your not fully dressed "classy."

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friend of mine wore an IWC Portuguese to work for 6 years. I was the first person who noticed. If the watch is subtle I'd say your fine. If your wearing a Breitling Bentley or an IWC BP...or something dipped in diamonds you deserve what you get. Be classy and I think you're fine.

And to the statement about "dressing classy and it doesn't matter"...i disagree. I believe without a watch your not fully dressed "classy."
A plain stainless super ocean no diamonds...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yes it makes a difference, and I've seen it firsthand.
A certain level of luxury shows class and sophistication, but outdoing the clients and other people never looks good.
Remember, a construction worker who drives a Porsche to the job site looks like a bloodsucker, but if he pulls up in a brand new 3500HD, no one cares.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes it makes a difference, and I've seen it firsthand.
A certain level of luxury shows class and sophistication, but outdoing the clients and other people never looks good.
Remember, a construction worker who drives a Porsche to the job site looks like a bloodsucker, but if he pulls up in a brand new 3500HD, no one cares.

This is actually a pretty good example. All tho I don't think it matters as much when it comes to watches, I know a bunch of people that couldn't tell the difference between a Seiko and a Rolex. On the other hand I think if the owner of a construction company pulls up in a Rolls Royce vs a Chevy the first thing people are going to think: "Wow this guy must charge a fortune"

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wear my Lum-Tec on a daily basis. I have gotten many many compliments and people have actually inquired as to where I got it. I would never wear a Rolex, or anything nicer, at least where I am at now.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
This is actually a pretty good example. All tho I don't think it matters as much when it comes to watches, I know a bunch of people that couldn't tell the difference between a Seiko and a Rolex. On the other hand I think if the owner of a construction company pulls up in a Rolls Royce vs a Chevy the first thing people are going to think: "Wow this guy must charge a fortune"
Yep, thats exactly my story. I love cars and big trucks, but I specifically DON'T mod any work vehicles, because I feel it would be bad for business. With trucks you can hide a bit more as a stock desiel runs 60K+ without breaking a sweat, but there are a few companies in town that have huge jacked up show trucks and I specifically don't even ask them for quotes because of it. All my work trucks are stock or near stock. That way its viewed as tool of the trade, not flamboyant excess from overcharging and under delivering.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Your last sentence nailed it, VII.

If your wrist fauna conveys both success and thrift to a client, they'll presume you're shrewd in a way that creates ROI. If it represents a sizable portion of an average working man's annual income, the client may presume you've been raking it in- and at someone's expense. It's a fine line between audacity and confidence. My perception of sales is that you strive to articulate, subtly, that you're doing just fine but not so well that perhaps you're on the better end of the sale.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The "flashy" debate is pretty much 50/50 on every forum I've ever been on. Cars, watches, etc.

IMO, if you're good at what you do, it doesn't matter. Never once made a difference in my businesses. If I earn it, I enjoy it. Fck censoring your purchases/lifestyle based on the opinions of others. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Those opinions matter if their money is what facilitates those/that purchases/lifestyle. Two more cents.
"You're amazing at what you do, but because of your AP, I'm using someone inferior who wears a Seiko."

Never heard that, personally. If you're losing business based on your purchases/lifestyle, then there are larger, underlying problems with the business, itself.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
"You're amazing at what you do, but because of your AP, I'm using someone inferior who wears a Seiko."

Never heard that, personally. If you're losing business based on your purchases/lifestyle, then there are larger, underlying problems with the business, itself.
If the other person is wearing an AP and you're wearing a Weekender or something, there's going to be some odd looks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Entirely depends on what your business is, and your role. Some people feel like you are going to rip them off if you seem to make good money, whereas others may see it as a sign that you are good at what you do. You would want to be working a pretty high end market to catch the latter though.
EDIT: I think most people see Rolex as expensive, probably followed by Omega, but anything outside of that they probably have no idea unless they are into watches, at which point it may be a good thing to have a nice watch (conversation piece).

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Like others have said it really depends on the business and your clients. As a general rule I never wear my two Rolex watches in the office. Nearly everyone recognizes them and automatically assumes certain things about you. Or at least I feel they do. I wear my AP, Lange, Blancpain and other watches which cost way more than any Rolex I own and no one recognizes them. And if someone does recognize them, they are probably watch enthusiasts as well. This is also the same reason I never bring my Lamborghini to the office or businesses I own.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Like others have said it really depends on the business and your clients. As a general rule I never wear my two Rolex watches in the office. Nearly everyone recognizes them and automatically assumes certain things about you. Or at least I feel they do. I wear my AP, Lange, Blancpain and other watches which cost way more than any Rolex I own and no one recognizes them. And if someone does recognize them, they are probably watch enthusiasts as well. This is also the same reason I never bring my Lamborghini to the office or businesses I own.
This my experience as well, If I didn't convey it in my first post. I can wear higher end watches and no one notices. Put on a G-Shock or Rolex and the world has to see them or notices.

saintv90, an IWC BP or Breitling Bentley is flashy in your opinion or is it their size?

To the OP, the watch you wear - IMO - is right for your job. I also like what HJ said as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts