Luxury4Play.com banner

Calling all computer experts

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Andriy Marchyshyn 
#1 ·
I'm in need of a new office computer. The one I presently run is a custom one I had put together for video editing, but it wasn't getting much use, so I put it to work at my office. It's now slow, and I'm sure everything inside is 6+ years out of date.

I'd say my budget is around $1200. No real specific needs, it will run quickbooks, my invoicing software, Microsoft office, etc. I however run dual 21" monitors. Other than nothing extremely taxing, but again, I want something quality built, that is going to last.

Also, don't have any brand loyalty.

-Markus-

#3 ·
Just get an i7, 8Gb+ memory and an ssd, everything else shouldnt really matter as long as it works together. I'm not sure on computer parts prices there but should definitely be doable. I was actually looking at getting an Intel NUC with the above specs and it would still come out to about your prices in our dollars = even cheaper there probably.

#9 ·
Like everyone else, for that much money you wouldn't touch the potential of the computer. I wouldn't spend over $800 personally. I'd look at an i5-i7, 8-12Gb of DDR, 60Gb SSD, 1Tb storage, and a decent mobo.

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive) - Newegg.com
HD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

The essentials on this add up to: $577

Onboard video could be utilized, and you could salvage the case and be good to go. Always room for improvement adding or deleting component pricing etc..

#13 ·
MacBook pro with thunderbolt should do just fine.

#14 ·
I will agree with any MacBook Pro will do just fine for you. Especially since you aren't doing anything intensive at all. If you were looking for a desktop specifically, just get a super i5, since you will never use the full power of the i7 really.

But if you would consider a laptop, then I would suggest either macbook pro or even the air. I myself run a 13" air with i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd and it has 12 hours of battery life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.