Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giant military cargo plane lands at small Tampa airport

Full USAF statement from earlier Friday afternoon:

An Air Force C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft carrying 23 passengers, plus a crew of 19, landed at Peter O. Knight airport near Tampa, rather than at the planned destination of MacDill Air Force Base, about four miles away.

The aircraft, flying in support of U.S. Central Command, was apparently

undamaged and there were no injuries. There appears to be no damage to the airfield. In concert with airfield officials, the Air Force is planning to move the aircraft to allow Peter O. Knight airport to re-open.

The incident is under investigation.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Thats quite a SNAFU...it will reflect on their OPR/EPR
Officer Performance Report/Enlisted Performance Report

via 

·
Registered
399 Posts
How does something like this happen?
Lack of attention, I guess. I was flying into an untowered airport last month and almost landed at a private field that had a runway of the same heading, but was about 3-4 miles south of the intended landing airport. I just saw a runway going in the right direction and flew to it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Extreme lack of attention. How do you confuse a 3xxx' runway w/ a 11,421' runway?!?

At what point did the crew say, "Geez, I wonder where are all the KC-135s are?"

Maybe "Man, I know the TACAN is on the field but why is the DME 5 when we're on 1-mile final?

Or "Gosh, this picture of MacDill only has Rwy 22 depicted. I wonder when they built Rwy 18?"

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Haha. Used to live right around there. That airport is tiny! I'm sure it was a sight seeing this guy land there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
that same thing (different airports) has happened a couple times at the airline I fly for. I cant imagine how embarrassed the crew had to be when telling the passengers what happened!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing how the pilot is able to stop the plane on such short runway.
Pssht it's a Globemaster - that plane was built for short-field tactical landings. Unfortunately, even with all that automation there's no system to tell the pilots they're landing at the wrong airfield (or with the gear up, but that's another incident).

·
Registered
132 Posts
The landing was the easy part, taking back off in 3000ft, not so much. Lucky the runway didn't buckle with the weight that thing holds. I saw this fly over when this happened and I thought were in the hell is he going??

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Defuel to minimum takeoff load (may req waiver), hold brake, throttle up, release brake, ground speed then pull up...no problem.

via 

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There is a tower there.. Why didn't the tower speak up when they told them they were landin a big heavy there..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They weren't talking to that tower, I'm sure they were talking to MacDill tower and had clearance to land. The Peter O Knight tower guys probably didn't even know what was going on fast enough to get a call out over guard.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
"I see my plane has landed. I will gladly pay half with gold and half with 2 Kardashians" The Dictator.jpg

·
5,744 Posts
I'm obviously a civilian when it comes to all this, but what's impressive to me, is that thing stopping on a dime.

-Markus-

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Best part is the tower at MacDill was probably like where the **** is this C-17 that is cleared for landing!? :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts